Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Women not given 'best’ Down’s syndrome test

Replies

• What would you do if it came back you were high risk?
  • Personally I have declined the test,my need for a baby outweighs any risk.

However,it should be an option and not down to where you live or which hospital you attend,I agree this is unfair.

• I do think it is unfair that people get treated differently depending where you live in the country, it should be the best for everyone! 

I have to say having the test gives you some kind of peace of mind the baby should be healthy but there are never any guarantees on the flip side if it came back I was high risk it would give me a chance to come to terms with this before I had the baby.

I understand what you mean mummabear totally.  

• i was so shocked to hear thats not offered at my hospital everyone has 3 scans, i had 8 with jack 9 with lola plus one private,  i cant believe where you live means you arent offered this, i did all tests unless it was risky, im the sort that needs to 'know' whats going on i cant deal with being in the dark, i know theyre no where near 100% and i doubt anything would make me not want my baby but id still do the test, cant believe people have to pay!!!!
  • I only had two scans one at 12/13 wks when they mesaure the nuchal fold to work out the risk of downs and the 2nd one at 20wks for any abnormalities....

• That's what I had.I was told at 12 weeks I was high risk,not from Downs but other chromosonal disorders Trisometry 18 and 21.and advised to have an amnio,with a 1% risk of miscarriage.I was being pressured there and then to make a decision on the test.I refused the test but said I'd think about it and went back a week later.The risk was now acceptable.The nuchal fold test can only give you rough odds of your child having abnormalities.Based on that you have to make a decision whether to have invasive testing that puts your baby at risk,far higher than the risk of the abnormality itself.

My 20 week anomaly scan also showed abnormalities,now fluid on the brain and a single artery in the umbilical cord where there should be two.They thought it could be a heart problem,growth problem and/or a brain abnormality.Again at the next scan all was normal except the single artery which caused no problems.Just one of those things.

Merlin was born perfectly healthy,9lb 4oz,so no growth problem there.

Scans don't give you a definate answer,that's all that's offered at our hospital,unless you're high risk then you can have the amnio.

Personally,it wouldn't make any difference to me as I'd keep the baby anyway,but if something was wrong it would be helpful to know  before they get here.

• I guess it would prepare you but I'm sure nothing could really. I'm with Jo,would have baby regardless.

The N.H.S is getting worse,this postcode lottery stuff is bang out of order. I only had 2 scans with Tom,and 1 with Jc-but that was my fault. Sooooo many blood tests thoimage does anyone think it was because I was overweight that I kept having to be monitored for gestational diabetes? Had to fast test twice with both of themimage You have never seen a girl eat 2 rounds of toast so fast following that!!!!!

• i had the glucose tollerance test, is it that one? and yes rach it is down to weight im afraid, bloody awful test that, felt sooo ill!!!
  • Oh I thought it must be,put quite a lot on with Jc,well was fat anyway like but more so with second!!!! Had to have it twice with both,apparently it was ok 1 month and weird the nextimage

I assumed it was my addiction to carbsimage oh dear. Yeah how horrible is that-I hate lucozade,cant believe had to down itimageimage Was so so grateful of tea and toast afterward,I thanked them as if they'd cooked me a three course meal!!!!!!!

• i have a bad reaction to fizzy drinks so had to drink the hospital thick clear syrup stuff, omfg HARDEST part of being a mum, i swear, sleepless nights are no patch on drinking that, i didnt get toast i got, your familiar with where the cafe is? lol!
  • I have just paid for a private NT Scan to assess my chances of my baby having Downs as my local hospital does not offer this on NHS, other hospitals I know do - this does not make any sense and seems very unfair - most mums i know would like the option it should not depend on where you live in the country or which hospital you choose- anyone agree?