Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: 8 ways to stop your toddler biting

Replies

• Oh I tried all of those when we were at the height of biting season!!!!! Thankfully it has just stopped,altho I was bitten last night,but Jc is teething.

He probably realises I'd excuse him,maybe he just wanted to take a chunk out of me?!!!! Ratbag!!!

• So pleased to see this post.... Heather has bitten me a couple of times and reading this I'm thinking she's frustrated. She's 14 month and trying to hard to communicate at the moment. Hopefully we can nip it in the bud!
  • Lola bites alot! When she gets excited or angry, so pretty much all the time! lol!

At the moment we move her away and say NO that hurts, its not nice. Now shes stopped rushing back to do it, so we are getting there!

• My son is 16 months, we wasnt really sure what to do when he first started biting family members told me to bite him back, so i tried that and it really didnt work it just seemed to make him do it even more, so now i am trying a naughty step i sit him there for a couple of minutes until he has calmed down i go back into him and he gives me a kiss and cuddle straight away but it hasnt stopped him from doing it, going to keep on trying this method, if anyone else has got any advice i could try if this fails would be greatly appreciated. many thanks!
  • hi,

for younger children and babies a frozen rag works well if they are teething. as do frozen teething rings. everytime they try to bite i reccommend saying 'no that hurts mummy' firmly, while looking at them and then putting them down on the floor on their mat and ignoring them for a few minutes or for older children the naughty spot works well. biting them back just confuses them as to why they are told off for biting  us but  that we as their parents are allowed to do it to them without negative consequences. remember most things they learn from us. even if you feel like biting back. say 'no', walk away and calm down ,they really are not doing it on purpose to hurt you. sometimes it is to communicate their anger and frustration and other times it is because they are genuinely teething (even if you cannot see or feel the teeth coming through they can still be pushing up inside their gums a little) or it can be because they want something and cant communicate it verbally or  want some attention  from us. i know it hurts big time. my son bit me many times. my leg ,my nipple. he even managed to bite my husbands nipple once!  if they are older and start to do it i advise explainging to them that is is not ok to bite and why and then putting them on the naughty spot for the same number of minutes as their age on years..then ask then to say sorry, forgive them , have a cuddle and move on , also explaing and taking away a favourite toy for a short time is a good detterant too.

hope this helps in someway

The English Nanny. net

• relieved to read this is quite a common problem! a boy at my daughters nursery had a habit of biting other kids. he never bit my daughter but she picked up on it and started doing it over the summer. i guess she saw the other boy getting attention when he bit and wanted some of the same! she'd bite me and just laugh. think we've just about got it sorted in time for her to go back to nursery just by explaining to her that its not nice and hurts. also got her a teething ring to bite on which seemed to help. i was quite tempted to bite back sometimes!