Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Woman refused cheese at supermarket because she’s pregnant

Replies

• what a bloody joke, i wouldnt have lied id have said give me the f-in cheese and used a few choice words, how dare she, silly cow, even worse she was spouting rubbish!!!

And anyway when were pregnant are we not allowed to shop for the other half or older children???image

• I couldnt believe this story, firstly what did it have to do with him/her and secondly s/he had her facts wrong - some people are just unbelievable!!!!!!
  • Facts right or wrong.... I don't think Sainsbury's  have the right to refuse to sell cheese of any kind to a pregnant woman!

NO food is banned in pregnancy- we are merely informed that some foods are best avoided and it is then down to the individual to decide whether they wish to take the "risk" or not.

A "helpful" assistant in the same supermarket told me she wasn't supposed to serve camembert to me........ when I was carrying my 4 day old baby in a sling!  

Grrrrrrrrr.

• What a joke! It's irrelevant whether the shopworker had her facts straight or not - she had absolutely no right to tell the woman what she should or shouldn't eat and that's what Sainsbury's managers should be saying. Do they refuse to sell alcohol or cigrarettes to pregnant women too?

They should apologise to the woman and give her vouchers for free nappies.

• This is diabolical and just shows how ridiculous the whole eating in pregnancey thing is - I lived in France fro 3 years and my friends just laughed when I told them about the UK Advice - they said it is probably dating back to when cheeses werent so heavily processed (even soft cheeses) and came direct from farms so a bigger risk of listeria - I ate ALL cheeses throughout my pregnancy - and seafood and mayonaise and pate and the odd glass of wine and my daughter is healthy and very happy and hardly every ill - our parents didnt adhere to all these restrictions and we all came out all right - you really just have to use common sense
  • Cheeky b*****s!

Supermarket!Not a doctor or nurse or pharmacist(I've lied to one of those occasionally,but they're doing their job) but a supermarket lady.Not her business to be telling you what you can and can't buy.Was the customer pregnant or stupid?Was she unable to make a decision herself.image

And the supermarket lady was wrong too