Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: I’m pregnant, should I have the swine flu vaccine?

Replies

• Your articles header needs changing to "why we think you should have the jab!"

I see no balanace here, which is what made me read the article

I came here as my partner with out "first trimester bump" has been invited to take the jab and she's now in a flap unsure if she should have it so has asked me to research as much as possible

Article seems 100% hell bent biassed towards pressuring people into having it

(and quite similar to other articles I have found)

WHERE IS THE real evidence for any risk ref not having it??

Please clarify the last paragraph

Quoted

"Am I being irresponsible if I don't get the vaccine?

"All expectant mums want the best for their baby and this involves weighing up the balance of benefit and risk," says Professor Salisbury. "We have no reason to believe there is a risk of harm from giving the swine flu vaccines in pregnancy, but we can see clear evidence of potential harm for both the mother and baby from contracting swine flu in pregnancy. Anyone who is worried about making this choice can talk it through with their GP.""

What evidence for potential harm?

(seems you missed the most important part for the sake of unbiassed balance as your title suggested it would !!!!)

I'm still looking for a good unbiassed article and have yet to stumble across one - its either clearly propaganda with the intent to put money into Glaxo-Smithcline's pockets or the tin foil hat brigade

If none can be found before the deadline I will be advising that we don't have it (as she is perfectly fit and healthy and has always had a good immune system to date)

So far there has been no clear evidence of any higher risk for mother or baby if they contract the virus, even on these fairly thinliny veilled ads for G-S's product

Rob
  • rob,

im in the same situation im 26 weeks pregnant and dont know what to do ...did you find an article that wasnt biased?
  • I was very lucky to have received a swine flu vacine through my work a few months before I fell pregnant, however, as I had to take several types of medication through my pregnancy I can understand the anxiety this causes.

As Rob says its hard to find articles which don't have an agenda. Its also hard to evaluate the quality of articles on Google especially as you don't need any qualifications to post things on the net. I think the best thing to do would be to talk to the health care professionals who are looking after your pregnancy and ask them what the risks are for and against being vaccinated. You don't have to take the advice of just one GP or nurse, you can always ask for a second or third opinion while you are making up your mind . Also try to keep an open mind so you can judge the information you are given on its merits and nothing else.

Its a hard decision either way and you'll worry what ever course of action you take so good luck x

• Hi, I am currently 13-14 weeks pregnant pregnant. I was not offered teh swine flu vacine but just the seasonal flu jab, which I was told (by the GP) that it would offer some protection from swine flu. I also debated having it and in the end just decided to go for it as I weighed up the pros and cons as best as possible. From my research I found out the flu vacines are a dead virus so will not cause any symptons and they cannot replcate themselves into live virus's, thus should not harm the baby (or me). I was warned by a lot of people not to have the jab as it makes you really ill but I had mine over 2 weeks ago and am still fine. No one can or should tell you what to do but you should make your own mind up. One thing I found is that I could not get any unbiased advice either online or from my medical care team as they all basically tried to force me into having it.

I also had my 2 youngest children vacinated against swine flu last year so I could not justy not having a flu jab myself after letting my other children have it.

• This is such a hard one. I'm so glad my baby was born before the vaccine was made available becasue I wouldn't have wnated to make this decision. My sister's just found out she;s expecting so will def make sure she reads this. It's all so new it's impossible to advise mums to be what to do but at least this gives them a good picture of what it's all about.