Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: One in ten parents have forgotten their children!

Replies

• Options

I got as far as the school gate before I realised Erin was still in the buggy in the playground.I also nearly left Arthur at my parents' house thinking I'd strapped him in as well as everyone else.

I have forgotten to strap the car seat in before.The older children now do themselves,but the toddlers usually yell at me if I forget,they've had the "seat belts,so we can be safe" rule drilled into them,it's just normal now.

There's actually really awful statistic from the US where I think it was 30 babiesand young children died last year after being forgottenand left in cars.Most cases the parent on the way to work,got distracted.Forgot  to drop the child at daycare,park the car at work,not realising the child is in the car.By the end of the working day,it's all too late.Some times they're just forgotten.Either way you wouldn't believe it could happen.

I'm very absent minded,I lose stuff and forget it all the time.I washed my paper driving license and it is no moreimage

• Options

Thats awful, the guilt must be awful for these parents.

My kids have had the seat belt talk too, but its not made much difference! Connor will wait til we are just about to leave the estate then he will say.  Caitlin has just moved to 'big girl seat belt' (her words!) and she says nothing, i have ocd about checking he.

• Options

I'm a bit neurotic about seatbelts and have only forgotten to fasten the eldest in once - she shouted at me so loudly the entire carpark must have heard her!  Don't think we have ever given her the seat belt talk but she has heard me telling her daddy off for not checking belts are not twisted so they will work properly because she tells him and her grandma now.

Regularly get the eldest 2 in the wrong seats and wonder why I can't fasten them in though and almost left the baby in the pram by the front door while I fastened the oldest 2 in the car in the rain, was just shutting the door when I realised the crying was in the house not car.

• Options

i forget things on a daily basis, nothing too major though i have forgotten to strap the kids in their car seats numerous times (luckily we havent got too far before noticing image).

This made me think about a few weeks back when dropping Caitlin at nursery.  I was talking to her friends dad and once finished he walked out of the door, but he left the baby in her buggy!  I assumed the mum was in the nursery but she wasnt, and daddy looked very embarressed when he finally came back for her!  Luckily the wee one was quite oblivious, in fact she looked rather bemused when he came back.