Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Boy banned from school disco after taking time off when his dad died

Replies

• I agree, there is a stupid amount of pressure to send children to school when they are ill and would be better off at home!   My eldest niece is terrified she will miss being allowed to apply for the dancing classes after school if she doesn't have 100% attendance.  I was always off school with illness and orthodontic and opthalmic appointments but never for any holidays!  If I was at school would I be penalised for things out of my control too?
  • I think it's ridiculous that primary school children are put under pressure to have 100% attendance.This child had a good reason to be absent,as do most children who are off school.Yes school's important but if you've a good reason your child should not be penalised.

Our  older children's primary school has certificates and awards for attendance,the first thing you see when you walk into the school is an attendance chart,class by class.That's how important it is,one of the rerasons my younger children go to a different school.

Children get bugs,they get ill,they miss school.If your child is ill they should be at home.Instead far too often they sit in class feeling rotten,sharing their illness with their class mates,who bring it home to their families.Children get ill,it's part of growing up.Being at school,however  your health is not some great achievement.Certainly not warranting some special reward.