Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: 12 ways to have a baby on a budget

Replies

• i agree,

they could have been more obvious, and said what we do, Buy white footless pjs (H&M and next) they last longer and can be used by any sex and nappysan makes them come up new!

• Don't like footless,all my babies refuse to keep socks on.That was my first thought when I read the cutting the feet off,I hand mine down to the next baby,so I'd rather replace them if they're small.I have baby clothes bought  new,in some cases second hand for Harry,and they've been used for all 7 of my kids.I keep everything they grow out of,clothes,toys ,equipment.

Most of those tips are obvious.It really doesn't cost the earth.It's worth paying more for better quality,or you end up buying twice.Buy cheap is a  false economy.Buying a size or two ahead and keeping something away can help a little.End of season sales,you can stock up on next years things.Just don't get too enthusiastic cos you don't know how fast they'll grow.

• I think they're quite useful actually - they may sound obvious but sometimes I think people discount some of the small steps they can take to save money becasue they are so small. Like supermarket points cards, I could never be bothered with them but when my husband and I were having to tighten our purse strings last year I decided to get one and, even though they were only small savings, the points meant a saved a few pounds on my shopping every few weeks - a 12 pack of toilet roll for free def comes in handy!
  • I agree with Ella - they are useful tips. while yes, most are common sense ideas, I found it wasn't always easy to think of what steps I could take when my head was totally in baby-land. it was the same with baby puree recipe ideas when i was weaning ruby - it all was obvious when i read it somehwere, but to stand in my kitchen and think - "what do i mash up today that'll be really tasty and have the right stuff she needs?" - well, that just had me doing the same old thing or drawing blanks!

Now Ruby's older, looking back I can see it's easy, but when you're in it, thinking about sleeping, washing, feeding and everyting else leaves little time to think about how to be saving money even if it's obvious! (BTW, my Boots card and collectng Boots points has been the best thing ever - the points seem to add up so quickly, and mean so many times I can go into boots and get  a "free" lot of nappies - or mascara for me!)

• I have saved loads of money breastfeeding, using washable nappies, and baby led weaning so i havent spent lots of time either, preparing mush that will be wasted or rejected, or expensive jars. My daughter is now 15 months and just started to use a spoon and fork image
  • other ways of saving money inclue buying second hand (prob not car seats though unless you know the previous owner).  most baby items dont get used for long and use items from previous children when i had my last daughter we got the pram/pushchair down from the attic and gave it a clean yes its over 13 years old now and perhaps looks a bit dated being navy with white flowers but its also quite nice being different, we also kept the cot so we just needed a new mattress. i got a new gliding crib with nice bedding but she didnt like going in it so was put on ebay.  friends of mine buy new with every child and has now got 4 pushchairs stuck in her hallway for 1 child!

i buy toys and books from car boot sales where books are often 5 for £1, look out for nearly new sales, join a library and see if you have a local toy library, it cost us just 20p to hire a wheely bug for a fortnight.

we use cloth nappies, yes the outlay is a lot in the beginning but the savings come in time especially  if you use them for your next child, i recommend buying a few different types before buying a complete birth to potty kit to see what suits your baby/toddler, see if there are money incentives from your council to purchase them or have a trial kit that you can hire.

read reveiws on products that you are thinking to buy to see if they are any good before buying or try out a friends pushchair etc to see how you get on with it first.

• I got quite a few things off ebay (including buggy and travel cot) although not everyone would be able to do this as we had to pick up the larger items, and hand me downs from friends and family!
  • Aren't most of these really really obvious? Do people really need to be told things such as turning your thermostat down could save you money? As for cutting the feet off babygrows, it's only economical if it's your last child and you don't plan to pass your baby clothes on to someone else. I'm surprised there was no mention of cloth nappies or breastfeeding as they both save you money compared with dispoable nappies or formula.