Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Children learn as much from siblings as they do from parents

Replies

• the most exciting here is how to use the jack in the box, and eating bogies, oh the joys!
  • Yeh,what it with bogies.Are they born doing that or does someone show them?Whirly asked me today"Can I eat my bogeys?"I told her no,it's disgusting.So she says "I'm going down to the front room,I can eat my bogeys there!"image
  • LOL!image

jack just did it suddenly, and lola MY goodness does she LOVE doing it, she sits for ages pudgy little finger rammed up there and lots of mmmmmmming follows, nothing i do deters her!! jack just giggles and copys, i actually think she taught him, little gremlin!

• Loving the boogy comments, lol, one of the wonders of children.  My 4 year old step son is a constant echo to my 6 year old, to the point where he does get quite cross!  Obvioulsy because he's my step son I di have to watch everything that is said to him or around him!  So far my little girl hasn't picked up anything specifically from her brothers though she really plays with them despite development theories saying that at her age they don't play 'together'.  She loves nothing more than to let them push her round on her truck and then go and play cars with them!
  • Bad things they have learned from each other- spectacular tantrumming (i should sell tickets-its great), how to hit each other HARD!, getting in your face and doing this silly shakey head thing-very annoying and makes your eyes hurt!  Caitlin has also passed on the petted lip look on to Andrew.

Good things they have learned from each other-  Connor has helped Caitlin with her writing, they comfort each other when they are upset.

More bad than good unfortunately but nothing spectacularly outrageous thank goodness!                                                                

• Very funny posts here!!!! Only have one bogey freak-it's Tom!!!image Jc hasn't copied YET!!!!!!!

We have the pulling of each others willy's in the bath,which is highly amusing to those two,followed by Tom telling Joseff to stretch his willyimageimage Mmmmmm they'll be doing enough of that in the teen years me thinks-but I just say don't do that in case you hurt willy-which gets a giggle cos mam said willy and I haven't got 1.

Positive is Tom really does try and help Joseff with speech,sharing,eating with cutlery.....everything he can really bless him,think it's so he can be like him rather than helping tho!!!!!!!!

• we had a nice sibling moment this weekend, my mum had the kids while we did some packing a bits, jack kept hugging lola and saying, back soon, they back soon, when she got tired he told mum, lola nap now, got her comforter and dummy and asked for her milk!!!image hes such a sweetie and today in the back of the car he was dipping his breadsticks in dairy lea and letting her suck the cheese off then dipping it again for her, just recently he really has become a very caring big brother!
  • Ah,that's so sweet.We have food sharing moments with Whirly and Matilda,but often it's a case of one for you,one for me,and it's Matilda's food.So nice when they're friends though.image
  • My 3 yr old has started to take her 2yr old sister to the toilet!  Both are toilet trained but we only have an upstairs toilet so I've had a potty in the hall in case of emergencies (which always happen while i've got the nappy off the baby or am cooking or breastfeeding) but both have decided they are going to the toilet without telling me so I'm constantly sprinting up the stairs after them!

Theres only 15mths between my eldest girls and they are so close and play very well together, especially with the cookers, teasets and dolls, since the eldest started preschool we have had her teaching songs and more recently counting too.

My 2yr old has the most patience and is brilliant with jigsaws and shows big sister how to do it now while the 3yr old is very frustrated that her sister can't hop yet and has tipped her over a few times trying to show her how.

I've also found they pick up a lot from their big cousins (7yr old twin girls) like their High School Musical obsession and hide and seek.

• Yep,it's true,they learn a lot from older siblings,how to fight,how to swear,how to call each other names.I've a twenty two month old who told her sister she was a pig,followed by gobbledegook then dead at the end.I also had my then 4 year old screaming wish you were dead! at me while having a paddy in the shoe shop,one of his favourite phrases,one he learnt from his older brother,but one he has in turn passed down to those younger than him.

Trying to think of good things now,I'm hoping those become more obvious as they get older.I guess they teach each other to share,and that if you don't treat others nicely they won't play with you.I've caught them doing little things like teaching Arthur to click his fingers,and of course as far as games consoles and computers go,they  teach them that too.Hoping the older ones will be able to field some of those awkward questions when the little ones are older,there'sstuff you just don't chat with your Mum about but I remember chatting with my little sisters about.