Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Photo of smoking 6-month-old sparks investigation into teen mum

Replies

• Definitely agree with you audrey12. Who in their right mind would find this funny or acceptable?
  • FFS image

some people shouldnt be allowed children, they arent here for our amusement!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I agree, I used to smoke and kept my cigarettes way out of the reach of little hands.  I didn't even like him seeingme do it so I stopped.

Am I just as bad though because I took a pic of my little girl sitting on her great aunts lap.  Great aunt had just finished a glass of wine and my little girl was putting her hand in the glass and pretending to drink from it.  Obviously if there had been wine in it this wouldn't have happened! (I'd have drunk it, lol).  But I haven't put the pictures up on Facebook either!  I didn't pose her like it, it just happened!

Question: Do those people who pose animals smoking and drinking etc, get investigated?

• To be honest, I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill.  We are all guilty of doing comedy things to our babies - photographing them in unusual situations, putting them in the laundry basket, making them wear mummy's shoes, that kind of thing.  The fact is that this is amusing, harmless and the baby/toddler is too young to remember so will suffer no psychological harm.  Nobody thinks for a moment that anyone is trying to promote the idea of babies smoking cigarettes.

It's true that I question why any mother would have cigarettes around her baby, but for all we know, it may not even have been hers.

The fact is that it was not lit, the baby has suffered no harm and will not remember it, even subconsciously.  The only thing of which the mother is guilty is a questionable sense of humour.

• Children arent an accessory or there for our amusement. The 'babies having babies' statement is definately true and unfortunately is now part and parcel of our changing society. If you bring a child into the world, have some respect for him/her!!!!
  • I think the mother is probably not very mature,and made a stupid decision to take the photo,and an even more stupid decision to post it on facebook.We all did stupid things when we were 18 but usually  just humiliated ourselves,and now it's just a memory that makesus cringe.The fact that this girl did something so distasteful and it's become public,the world and his wife know and she's going to just have to live with the fallout.She should have a little more respect for her little boy,he is a person,not a toy,and I certainly wouldn't describe putting a cigarette in your baby's mouth as  "doing comedy things" to our babies.It crossed that line and went a whole lot further.

Social services did investigate though ,and they did find nothing to be concerned about so I think the girl's probably done little more than make herself look a little silly,and the less attention drawn to the whole thing the better

• she is a very irresponsible mother!  Even if it was unlit, it's hardly suitable for a baby to have in their mouth.