Forum home Article comments

Talkback: UK girls falling pregnant at 10

Replies

•   a lack of physical affection from many fathers [ and alot of mothers] with their daughters and sons and a lack of educating them on moral issues about abstaining until marriage and consequences of having sex too early...  plays a large part in what is missing from alot of  children´s lives in many countries. not just the u.k.  when you look at teen pregnancy rates in countries where fathers are more affectionate and involved in their childrens lives, such as italy.....their rates of teenage pregnancy are much lower.

i think that alot of physical affection deprived children, both girls and boys seek affection elsewhere if it is not given healthily at home. but usually that leads to sexual content because the other person they seek it from is not their parent.  hence...early  sex and early pregnancies.

God Bless

The English Nanny

theenglishnanny.net

• Children who have sex at age 11? Appalling in itself. When I was 11, I knew nothing of sex, I was too busy playing outside. Children are repeatedly exposed to sex in different forms of media everyday. You need to speak with your children to make them understand sex, pregnancy and it's consequences, and their own sexual health. Giving a way free contraceptives has nothing to do with this arguement. It's statiscally proven that when teens don't have an option and access to contraceptives, they are more likely to become pregnant or contract an STD. Talk to your children, let them attend sexual health classes, and most of all, make your relationship with your child open enough that they feel they can come to you with questions and concerns. That is the best way to go, if you don't want your child or teen to become pregnant/father a child or contract an STD. Plain and simple.
  • At the age of 10 I was allowed to play in the garden & on the grass verge outside my house. Where do the parents think their 10 year old children have been? It's a real shame that children learn so much so young. My partner & I have a bit of a strange rule in our house. The girls can have dolls when they are old enough to ask for one but not the sort that are like real babies. I don't want my girls imitating being a mum so young. I want them running around having fun. I want them to enjoy their youth & not wish they had it back because they were responsible for another life at such a young age. I think children these days are robbed of the innocence that they should be able to have. They have to learn about sex, learn about strangers, learn what is indecent behaviour so they'll know if someone is doing something wrong. I want my girls to be street wise but I still want them to be kids.
  • I remember when i was a teenager a girl got pregnant at 13 and was the youngest ever mother. It was an absolute shocker. I thought that would be the limit. Why are kids so fast to rush away their childhood. Surely at that age there is no real sexual desire? It's weird.

I waited later than most of my friends to have sex and out of all of them I'd had the least sex education. I don't believe that earlier sex ed works - clearly these headlines prove they don't.
  • a 1o year old girl falling pregnant is appaling. i believe that in todays educational system, sex lessons are taught way too early. i cant believe that 10 year old children can even have sexual desires. all this early sex education is meerly wanting them inquisative, and wanting them to go and try to see what its like.
  • This is outrageous... what is happening with this world. At 10years of age i certanly was not thinking about sex.... Schools do need to educate children, but where are the parents when the kids are having sex in the first place.

If someone told me that my little boy Harry in 8 years time would be a daddy, i think i would  combust...

• People think that education and free contraception is the thing to stop babies having babies, this clearly is not working. We need a more moral society instead of a sexulised one