Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Baby monitor that translates your baby’s cries

Replies

• Couldn't agree more Jo Jo although I can think of some instances when you just cant seem to settle your baby no matter what you try, but I still think getting to know your babies cries is part of getting to know them and part of bonding... 
  • Completely agree with both of you.It's all a part of those first few days with your baby,getting to know them.You can work out what your baby needs without some fancy device.All babies don't cry the same any more than we all sound the same when we talk.There are no set five cries that are universal,that's just nonsense,and it's preying on those who just want to do the best for their baby,I think it undermines a new Mum's confidence,cos you can do all this by yourself,with the added bonus you can see,feel and smell your baby.

• Totally argree mum best place to understand a baby's cries but also lots to do with body lanague.

- but did have a chuckle at this as not long since it was in the media that baby's cries have a accent depending where there from. Can't help but compare to trying to use atomated phone services that can't cope with my accent .

• It looks like a way of trying to help working parents. The danger comes if you rely on a machine. It also takes away the joy of learning to listen to your children early on. It's a sort of mother training and every mother is capable of doing it. As a hard-of-hearing mother I was afraid of not hearing my babies cry so we bought a loud baby monitor on the market. My husband could hear her breathing! We need new products that boost a mother's confidence and allow the joy of those early days.
  • There already is a book that gives all the cries- seen on Oprah a year or so ago? This isnt new...! Google 'Priscilla Dunstan Oprah' for links - eg videos demonstrating the 5 cries and what they mean in newborns. Far better to recognise them yourself than to buy a device. Also to trust your instinct. Yet another gadget that implies mothers need help- and to make someone yet more money. Google Priscilla Dunstan and watch the footage- you dont even need to buy the book. And then start listening to your baby - mums have been doing it for years image