Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Mums-to-be 'paid' to stop smoking

Replies

• Seems a crazy idea, and one of obtaining free money!,

Just before you plan to get pregnant, smoke for a few months, then on your first visit to the doctor, mention that you smoke, and that's you destined for £525,.....'what next'?

• in my area, smokers get free use of the gym too, i am really missing out.
  • does seem a bit ridiculous but think it's a good incentive in places where smoking is the norm and education about doing it while you're pregnant isn't very good.

how do you prove you're a smoker to get free gym! i might start up a 1-a-week habit!!

• i don't know, but i need to lose weight, and i don't get free gym use.  that's not fair.
  • When I saw this i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me!  I've never smoked and i try to keep reasonably fit by doing free exercise such as walking and cycling (I can't afford luxuries like going to the gym).  I had to make heartbreaking decision to return to work when my daughter was just 6 months old as I couldn't afford any more time off and yet smokers get everything handed to them on a plate!  If I'd have had an extra £525 I could have had a couple more months maternity leave but I get nothing because I don't smoke.  These days everyone knows the dangers of smoking when pregnant and nobody forces people to smoke - it's their choice.

I think I might take up smoking then next time I get pregnant I'll be quids in!

I'm sorry if you don't like what I've said but it's just my opinion.

• What a stupid idea - surely any woman in her right mind when pregnant would recognise she has a responsibility to the foetus growing inside her and one would hope that would be enough to want to stop smoking. Would the offer be there once the baby was born? If not, then the mother may start smoking again, putting the newborn's health at risk. I don't think this type of scheme would help eradicate the problem of women who smoke when pregnant or around their babies.

Pregnant women may need help with buying good food and baby supplies. Why, yet again, are healthy pregnant women missing out?

• I am a smoker and realise the dangers-yet we have nothing like free gym membership in our area-and quite right,even as one of the minority it is ridiculous to give benefits to smokers,we are essentially drug addicts.

I agree this is a mad idea which is punishing healthy mothers,crazy.

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• This seems ridiculous. A benefit because you smoke? I feel like I'm missing out because I am healthier!

This insinuates I should start smoking before getting pregnant so I can get some money back when I stop!