Forum home Article comments

Child Safety Week - What do you wish you'd known?

Replies

• I wish we'd known that swinging a 3 year old between the two of us by their hands as we walked down the road is a really common way of.. um, dislocating a joint.

Poor little love... we were down to A&E quickly afterwards. Luckily it popped back into place as they were straightening her arm for the x-ray, and it was as if nothing had ever happened.

Now if we do that, we swing them by their upper arms... We really didn't have a clue

And OMG the call a few days later from social services 'just to check everything was ok' was mortifying
  • Oh they always do that apparently,after a visit to A&E.Didn't used to but the last time we went to casualty we had a call from Ithink a health visitor checking up.All that had happened was the last person up the stairs,one of the other children ,had left the gate open and Matilda found her way upstairs and fell off the top bunk while I thought she was safely playing in the front room.

My older children are the biggest cause of accidents in our house.As adults we remember to shut the safety gates,we wouldn't leave Lego size pieces or beads on the floor.This week my older girls made a train with the plastic garden chairs thinking it was a nice little game for the little ones.Matilda tipped a chair up and banged her head on the brick barbecue,so now she has a huge bump she proudly calls her "triangle".Isuppose it's just making sure they remember what is safe for them could potentially be dangerous for the little ones

• I remember Dylan choking on a 2p coin that big sis had left on the floor.  In fact he didnt choke, because he just went blue and fell to the floor (he was in a sitting position.  OH grabbed him and patted his back when the coin came out.  OH went crazy at big sis, but then we reflected and realised that you can't trust your other children to keep things safe from little ones.  Its our responsibility as the adults to ensure WE dont leave the little ones in unsafe places.