Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Gisele Bundchen wants breastfeeding to be law

Replies

• Options
    At last someone talking sense. Thank goodness for Gisels and others like them. Gives me hope that the world might not be populated entirely by people who are happy to give their children junk food from their first day..
  • Options
    So what about the mum's with mastitis, or on antibiotics, or who have emergency hospital stays? Breastfeed is brilliant for baby and mum but is not always in the parent's control. I have friends who were heartbroken because breastfeeding wasn't successful or possible. I've had it up to here with the brestfeeding facists, go live your own life and keep your outdated and hurtful opinions to yourselves.
  • Options

I took it to mean that people should not bottle feed for no reason.

Lots of people can't feed for medical reasons, but just not wanting to is a poor start to your attitude towards your baby!

Breastfeeding is extremely hard and very painful to start with, but aside from all the bonding rubbish, it's easier, cheaper, cleaner, and better for your babies health, so to not want to strikes me as more than a little strange.

Express for freedom!

• Options

We have a CHOICE. We can bottle feed or breast feed. I tried to feed my daughter but it didn't work out. Was it me? Was it her? I don't know. All I know is that I changed to bottle feeding and she was happy and content. A law which stated I had to feed for 6 months would have left my daughter and I both unwell and miserable. I will try again if I have another baby, but I shan't beat myself up if it doesn't work again. A happy, loved, full baby is the most important thing.

Being a new mum is hard enough as it is without unhelpful comments such as this. We don't need more pressure, we need support to make the right decision for us and our babies, be that bottle or breast.

• Options
    I agree that it's a mother's choice. I was absolutely determined to breast feed my daughter, but when it came to it I couldn't produce any milk (well, only about 5ml in about an hour), despite massive help from the hospital. In the end I just had to give up and bottle feed her, but it was impossible to get any reliable advice on the different brands of formula available due to the extreme emphasis on breastfeeding. Despite my concerns about family history of allergies, etc, 2 years on she's one of the healthiest people I know, but I still feel angry about the lie that I frequently read that "all women can breastfeed"!
  • Options

I count myself lucky that I managed to breastfeed my children with varying degrees of success, as I know alot more mums who couldnt.  All my friends were determined to do it but most had to give up for whatever reason.  Thankfully, all were supported my their midwives. 

Gemma is right-we have the choice.  We should be concentrating on what is right for our own children and circumstances, not preaching to others what they should be doing.

What would we rather-mothers who are happy with their choices, with happy well fed babies.  Or mothers who are depressed because they are made to feel like worthless because they cant do it but must still carry on?  I know which I prefer.

• Options
    Naomi Tayler wrote (see)
    At last someone talking sense. Thank goodness for Gisels and others like them. Gives me hope that the world might not be populated entirely by people who are happy to give their children junk food from their first day..

Are you seriously saying that those who are not breastfed, will be eating all the crap of the day by the time they are 2!?

Absolutely ridiculous...

• Options
    Lynne Nelson wrote (see)
    Naomi Tayler wrote (see)

Are you seriously saying that those who are not breastfed, will be eating all the crap of the day by the time they are 2!?

Absolutely ridiculous...

Quite right Lynne. My bottle fed daughter (now 20 months) eats a very varied, healthy diet, lots of fruit and vegetables and barely anything in the way of sugary snacks. I know I'm not the only one like this!
  • Options
    Its annoying enough that some lucky supermodel said this without other thoughtless comments!!

I spent the first month of my baby's life in tears and completely stressed because I was so desperate to breastfeed, she ended up not gaining enough weight and I ended up with a breast infection! How dare anyone make such judgements...junk food?! are u crazy? Like Lynn I will do everything to provide my daughter with a varied healthy diet.

I'm sick of people who have an easy time of it casting judgements, such as 'it shouldn't hurt' well it did AND my baby was latching on correctly- I had loads of help from my midwife, unfortunately it was not to be and I had to deal with that. My baby is doing fantasically well and is the most contented little one I could wish for.
  • Options
    I think it is crazy to make it a law! I do however think there is a lot of media saying yes to breastfeed and how important it is but where is the support? I breastfed but it was really hard work and took an enormous about of perseverance, pain, tears and I was determined to do it. It is not easy but it is natural and that is why I was so determined. As for getting back my baby figure it would have helped if I had something to get back to!!lol!

I am lucky that I have a supportive partner who knew I wanted to do it and washed the bottles and sterilised the double breast pump I borrowed from clinic at 2am!! But my mum was the most helpful as at the hospital she said use nipple shields as I have inverted nipples but the midwives said no and took them off me. These however solved all of my problems and I fed for few months with them and then little one knew what to do and fed til 14 months!
  • Options
    What a vacuous, conceited fool...