Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Baby shower trend reaches the UK

Replies

• So glad to hear the baby shower trend has reached the U.K. It really makes sense to have family and friends help out with the big expense of baby gear. I would be surprised though if the diaper cake trend make it to our U.K. friends, just don't think that will fly there. I could be wrong though!
  • Just in reply to Elle's post - diaper cakes (or as we call them 'nappy cakes') are big over in the UK already!) At bestbabyshower I've found they are one of our most popular baby gifts - not just for the baby shower but as a gift once the baby has been born also.

I love the whole idea of baby showers - not just the gift giving, but the whole comradarie and celebration of a new life to come - in a society that sometimes seems to lack family closeness it's a lovely way to support the mum (& dad!) to be & have some fun in the process.
  • i made my sil a nappy cake, using newborn nappies, muslins, hooded towel and a blanket, and got some lovely baby boy blue ribbon to tie around it. and a nice teddy on top.

they are so easy to make by yourself, just get loads of elastic bands, cheap and look brilliant and mean so much more when you make it.

the ready made ones are a complete rip off, hugely overpriced for something so simple to make, id suggest any one to give it a go, ill deffinatly be making one for any future bumps in my family.

• Its so wonderful that baby showers are catching on in the UK. But with all this focus on the mother we cant let dad go to the wayside! Please include dad in the baby showers. I found one idea here, custom medical scrubs for the delivery room! The provide comfort and inspire confidence!