Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Too fat for a birth pool?

Replies

• It's not the fact of "accepting" of course they know their overweight. But this woman was clearly not a big woman it was just her BMI, people are quite capable to handle a woman who is light. It's just discrimination to people who are not actually big. You could have a BMI of 40 and be light. It's all to do with height and bone structure.
    I can totally see the reasons if this woman was totally unbearable to handle and lift. It's pathetic and should be looked into more before judging.
  • I agree Naomi. I've also seen things posted on here when the person it is about is a user of this site and it can offend. Some comments about weight and excuses, espcially during or after pregnancy can be really hurtful. I have a high BMI but I'm not fat, and that is by the doctors standards not just my own. I hope people think a little more carefully how they phrase things. Postnatal depression isn't helped with some comments. Neither is it helpful to people that are pregnant and are concious of gaining weight. I like to think this site is more for support for mums not the chance to slate other people. How about a bit of solidarity instead of negativity and sarcasm?
  • My partner is clinically obese if you looked at his BMI. the fact that he is a porofessional sports man. eats healthy food and exercises to maintain fitness. you would not find any fat on him unlike me! though to be fair i wouldn't like to lift him out of a pool at 6'5"!!! but your BMI can be high without being overweight. you need to look at the person as a whole. but midwives can't be put at risk of back injury.
  • I cannot believe this woman is complaining about this!, it's a realistic problem isn't it? I wouldn't fancy having to get a lady who is obviously large out of a birthing pool in an emergency. Why can't some overweight people accept that they are overweight and that does affect things. Don't tell me, it's her glands right??

Glad she had a healthy baby though.