Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: "Dead" baby comes back to life with mum’s cuddles

Replies

• Options
    its definately the best thng for them.  our youngest spent most of his first day tucked down either my top or his daddy's!  his body temp was really low and it wouldnt come up as it were.  we even have a picture of dp with a small head coming out of his t-shirt!  in fact, he is now 3 and he likes nothing better than lying on top of your chest, all tucked in just like that first day at the hospital.
  • Options

couldnt agree more, my son was prem and they encouraged it to keep him warm, and help bonding breastfeeding and so on, and up until he was one, every upset was calmed by him laying on my chest usually in my top!

when lola was born i did it automatically and she loved it, she was on time and healthy but its still a lovely thing for them, at 3 and 20mnths they still love a cuddle in my dressing gown when i only have a vest on, skin to skin contact calms them so quickly.

• Options
    Im a great fan of kangeroo care. The first time I held Alice was when she was 2 days old (30 weeks and 2 days old) and in AGONY! She had been crying and nurses couldnt settle her, I walked in and discovered her arm was DOUBLE the size! the IV line has burst in the vein. She was in SO much pain!

They suggested kangeroo care while they took it out and to settle her.

She was plonked on my chest and she stopped crying INSTANTLY and was looking up at me. Poor little dink.

They got her all sorted out and we cuddled for a little bit longer. It was the most precious but heart breaking moment of my life. Knowing she should be inside me still, safe and warm...but also I was holding my baby for the first time. so small. so helpless but so so strong.

Even now, nearly 5 months old she loves to be up on our chest, she doesnt do "cradle holds" she likes to be up on our chest, like she would be at hospital.

xxxx