Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Jools Oliver “only ever wanted to be a mum”

Replies

• There's a lot of school time ahead though, what about showing her girls that women are not expected to be in the home? Indeed, for many women this is a luxury that they literally cannot afford. She also seems to have support from her mother and sister... again, not all of us are that lucky. As for model, I have not seen one single photograph of her from the modelling days except one from a hair magazine, but you can just model for free for most hair salons.. this is a PR invention, I am sure, to make up for the fact that Jamie's wife has not had a career. It is a shame, really. I would have more respect for her current aspirations as a mother, if every article about her didn't start out with "former model Jules"... This is the problem with having a famous husband, the PR machine behind him always wants to make sure that everything is perfect. 'Unemployed wife' is not glamorous. I will be interested to see what she does once all the kids are in school? Will it say "former pre-school mother"???!
  • GOOD FOR HER!!!!! Me too,but he sounded like a phleb saying'she ONLY wanted to be a mother'.

I admit I had never heard of her modelling but then I have little or no interest in models,so could just be me!

She prob does have extra help,and they can afford it,the rest of us can,but I see no problem with the fact that is what has made her happy,and no I don't think we all need carrers,it's great everyone is different,makes the world a better place. I'm more than content with being a SAHM and hope my boys see that as my choice,and respect me for having made that choice.
  • I always knew that I also wanted to be a mother some day.  I could have went to university, but didn't, as my ambition in life was to have children.  I now have 4, work part-time, and couldn't be happier. 

Incidently, my husband went to uni, and I paid for nights out when he was there, and he now has a good job and can support us.

• All I ever wanted to be was a mother.I  went to grammar school where great things were expected,at the very least  A levels and unifollowed by a career,but I left school at 16,trained as a nanny and that was my career for ten years,next best thing to having my own children, till I had my own children.It was always my intention that any career would just be till I had children.They are my career at the moment,they are my life and it's all I ever wanted,and more.When they're older I'll work again,but I've no desire to have anysort of career,I want a job that's a job and nothing more,but that's all a long way off.

I don't remember Jools being a model,but I don't really pay much attention to celebrities,I only heard of her as Mrs Jamie ,but it's nice that she's just doing what she wants to do.Don't suppose she has to worry about money,and if she has help on hand that's all a bonus.Being happy with your life is priceless.

I'm quite happy that my kids see me at home every day,we're all very happy with that situation.Whatever their choices as they grow up,I'll be happy as long as they're doing what they want to do and living the lives they want to live.

• Good for them, I agree, nothing wrong with being a SAHM,  I think it is actually hard work, no break from the usual routine - I go to work for a break(change to the routine).   I miss Harry dreadfully and dont always like working, but that is my choice. 

It is wahtever works for the family, I think it is good for the kids to be with their parents at home if possible, I just like being independent, earning my own money to do as I please with, my sister is totally opposite and a SAHM.

I do not think it is a bad thing to just want to be a mum, its one of the toughest but one of the best jobs in the world, I dont think it makes you a bad role model at all!

I think it takes all sorts, life would be boring if we were all the same.

• There's a lot of school time ahead though, what about showing her girls that women are not expected to be in the home? Indeed, for many women this is a luxury that they literally cannot afford. She also seems to have support from her mother and sister... again, not all of us are that lucky. As for model, I have not seen one single photograph of her from the modelling days except one from a hair magazine, but you can just model for free for most hair salons.. this is a PR invention, I am sure, to make up for the fact that Jamie's wife has not had a career. It is a shame, really. I would have more respect for her current aspirations as a mother, if every article about her didn't start out with "former model Jules"... This is the problem with having a famous husband, the PR machine behind him always wants to make sure that everything is perfect. 'Unemployed wife' is not glamorous. I will be interested to see what she does once all the kids are in school? Will it say "former pre-school mother"???!