Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Discipline in schools let down by parents?

Replies

• Options
    I get really angry when I her teachers moan about pupils standing up for themselves. If someone hit me I am legally entitled to defend myself - why is this not the same for children? I was always sent off to school – being reminded not to talk to strangers and if anyone hits me hit them back harder.

I WAS NEVER BULLIED! Because I stood up for myself.

What teachers should be really discussing is the fact that some parents are failing to teach their children about respect.

Fundamentally, bad behaviour stems from the failing to teach children to respect people in authority – including teachers. Children must be taught this otherwise how will they cope in a work environment. I am always reminding my 5 year old that unfortunately all through her life people will be telling her what to do, unless she is self-employed, but even then, she will have to do what her customers want. – That is life.
  • Options
    As a teacher and a parent I get both sides of the story.

The poster above is correct about parents teaching about respecting authority, without coming across all Cartman! If kids understand from a young age to do as they have been asked by teachers, police, doctors etc it would save a lot of time both at home and in the classroom. I am really trying to instill in my kids the "do what you have to do first to the best of your ability then have fun" idea, it should hold them good through school and work. Or of course it will make them rush their homework..

I think it would also help if people taught their kids that school is there as a resource for you to get what you can out of it to enable you to have the life that you want. If you want a nice car, home, or lots of travel experiences and adventures then get a good education, good job and hopefully cash!! Most secondary school kids seem to think that teachers are there to stop them from having a social life, which of course they can't pay for until they get a job!! Or, they think they will be famous.........
  • Options
    Our celebrity culture has taken over. All the reality television programmes make children think everyone can be on TV so they don't need to try if they want to be rich.

Children need to learn respect but also restraint. Hitting a child back only teaches the other child that it is fine to hit.

Far too many parents let their children dictate the household and give in to any requests for 'a quiet life'. This teaches children that, if you scream loud enough and for long enough, you will always get your way.
  • Options
    Definately parents.

The teachers are there to teach,yes I would appreciate discipline carried out,but it is our responsibility as parents to make sure our children can and will behave themselves.

I don't think parents undermine school disipline,though,certainly at school Tom attends,they either have no disipline,and therefore it is left to the teachers or we as parents are far too strict!!!!