Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Forceps training could prevent caesareans

Replies

• My daughter was killed by the misuse of forceps.

Its a cheap, primitive and barbaric way to deliver a child.

The NHS will try to reduce costs in maternity care. However, they just need to damage or injure a celebrity or someone in the public eye and the forceps will be confined to the bin.

Is it ever good practice to apply two LOCKED metal blades (spoon shaped), to a baby’s (soft) temporal lobes, and attempts to turn the baby’s head and at the same time assist baby down the birth canal with excessive force.

There is NO SAFETY mechanism built into the forcep. How does the operator know the appropriate pressure to apply on the babies head? And how does the operator know the correct traction pressure on which to deliver the newborn?

They don’t its GUESS WORK. Would the practitioner take this chance with their own baby?

Its a high risk procedure.
  • Our daughter was born in June 2010 after a horrible forceps delivery.

She came out of it healthy but I certainly did not. The force used to pull on her with those barbaric instruments so called -forceps- left me handicapped for life. There was no emergency what so ever that made C-section impossible because of time.

My obstetrician simply decided forceps were the "best" option, no question asked. We should strongly emphases that a forceps delivery is far from being a "natural birth". It is a risky procedure for both mother and child. Of course, there are risks to C-sections, but those risks are much more preventable.

There is no safety mechanism on forceps and the force used to pull with them is plain awful guess work.

It is a shame to continue using them in 2010 when C-sections are widely available and safer every day.