Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Sure Start centres to charge wealthier families

Replies

• With-holding funds seems to be counterproductive in my opinion but the idea of charging wealthier parents is fair enough to a degree. In my area there are two Children's Centres within walking distance and both seem to be used by many of the more well-off people. I was under the impression they are aimed at low-income families like myself but the majority of users I speak to are definitely not low income, one mum even sent her eldest child to a private school. It wouldn't be so bad if all families who wanted to use it could but at many of the stay and play sessions, people are turned away due to maximum numbers reached. It could well be people the Centres were built for are unable to use it due to the large numbers of wealthier parents there.
  • Not sure this is fair? Undecided,it just seems anyone who earns is charged,anyone who doesn't gets it all.

Those of us mid way,1 parent working,1 parent bringing up the children seem to be left out,we're neither category. There isn't a sure start centre near me,but have heard the one close to a friends house is awful,and seems to welcome young mums only.

Also is with holding funds from these resources such a good plan,some parents may not input feedback proving the centres have helped them.