Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Mums are too scared to push for baby No 2

Replies

• I don't know that women are always given the choice.A section is serious surgery,it's not an option just given to women without good reason.It does take a lot longer to get over.I had 6 natural births and was up on my feet ,moving about and doing most of what I wanted almost the day I gave birth.Getting over the section really took me by suprise because of the things I just couldn't do.Even in the hospital not being able to just walk over to baby and pick him up when he cried,the completely useless stomch muscles that just didn't want to work.The pain wasn't too bad,they give you pain killers,but getting home to having to sit in a chair and have other people care for my 1 and 2 year olds because I couldn't lift them,and fetch and carry for me was very difficult,as was being not allowed to drive.My husband was back to work after two weeks and I was walking the school run with a heavy tandem was not good,especially up and down kerbs.So it's a lot more to get over,I'd avoid it if given the choice.

It's also worth bearing in mind that although the first labour might have been difficult,the second very often isn't.My first was very difficult,my husband describes the first as "butchery" at the end.I suppose we don't know what to expect going into it,it's new to us,it's new to our body.My second labour was just four hours,very straightforward,I was so suprised,and I was back to normal almost straight away.

• I'd agree with the old woman... the first labour can be the longest one, and scare the woman for the next time, but they do get quicker and easier, after the first one.  Once your baby is out after a normal birth, you feel great (apart from the tiredness that a new baby brings) but you can still drive and lift and carry on pretty much as normal (at least after down below feels a bit less stretched and sore).
  • I had to have emergency sections for all 3 of mine, the first time I healed so well that the change of midwifes in hospital had to check I had had a section 48hrs before and I was walking back and forth to special care and up half the night expressing.

After my second I felt completely useless as I could not do a thing for my 15mth old daughter and had to let my mum and sister do everything for her.  I couldn't take her to bed, get her in her highchair, reaching to feed her was sometimes uncomfortable if she wriggled and cuddling her was almost like torture with little elbows and knees and head everywhere!

With number 3 I was prepared, got help planned ages in advance, got 3yr old and 2yr old used to not sitting on me for cuddles, bought a special belt with shield and cushion just in case and bought some toddler furniture for them to eat at when I was alone.  I felt completely exhausted most of the time and was stuck at home without help as I wasn't able to drive for 8 weeks until I could perform an emergency stop without it hurting and couldn't take the double pram out as I live at the top of a very steep hill and could not physically even lift it out of the house alone so I bought a sling and made the girls walk to the swings that I couldn't push.

I would advise anyone thinking of asking for a c-section to think again, especially if its not medically necessary!  I personally would have loved to be home the same day and picking up all my children for cuddles.  1 year on and my back still isn't strong enough to lift my 4 yr old or push a heavy pram for any length of time.

• Have to disagree folks - natural birth (forceps, major tear, infection unable to walk for three months, incontinent and with uterine prolapse and 2 years of counselling. So much for a quick recovery - yes, natural birth is fine if it goes right. If it goes wrong it is FAR worse than an elective caesarean.
  • After a very traumatic birth 1st time round( very big baby, vontouse delivery and 2nd degree tear) I was offered a caesarean by my midwife but when I spoke to the consultant at the hospital I was brought round to the idea of a natural birth again. I was worrying through my whole 2nd pregnancy about the birth but I needn't had, my 2nd daughter was born quickly with hardly any pain relief and very natural, I was home within a few hours of her being born and loved spending that time with my family. I felt so proud of myself for being able to deliver my baby the way I couldn't 1st time round and so so so pleased I didn't chicken out with a caesarean, if a caesarean is needed for medical reasons or the health of the baby then theres no question I would have it but for any other reason ,no way! After the last birth experience we are even considering a 3rd!!!
  • Have to disagree Jane! Just count how many women do natural birth per day and how many of them has those problems.. Normally natural birth goes fine.

I have to agree with old woman - caesarean is a surgery and it shouldn't be and option without a good reason!
  • Just a few things to think about for anyone opting for the caesarian route: I had a caesarian when I had my son (he was in the breech position). It was quick and painless and not at all stressful - in fact, a very good experience for him and me. However, it has to be said that it took me about week before I could walk properly and a fortnight to feel well enough to be properly going about business as usual (and I believe I recovered pretty quickly as these things go) which wasn't a problem with only a newborn to care for - he didn't mind that I stayed on the sofa for most of the time! However, when I have baby No. 2 next Jan/Feb I can't imagine my extremely active toddler will be very mindful of my need to care for/breastfeed his new brother as well as to recover from what is actually major surgery rather than attend to his every need. I also wouldn't be able to pick him up when he wanted for a few weeks, I'd be scared of him going anywhere near my stitches when we had a cuddle - this at a time when he would need most reassurance that he hasn't been replaced by the baby that seems always to be in my arms. It should also be said that you're not allowed to drive for 6wks after a caesarian (it's a loooong time). So I'm hoping to try for a natural birth this time around. It's nothing to do with feeling a failure in any sense for not having done it 'properly' the first time round (because I certainly didn't feel that way), I just think the practicalities of caring for a newborn and my precious 2yr old will be far far easier to cope with if I can be fit to get on with life as soon as possible.