Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: A year and a half after having a baby, mums feel like themselves again

Replies

• I feel like I'm just coming out of the baby bubble now after 4 1/2yrs although I did have 3 children in just over 3 years!  My youngest is now 16mths and I also suffered from PND.  I've come to accept that I will never again be a size 8 but then I'm not 23 anymore either.   I stopped weighing myself and trying to lose the weight and accepted that I as long as I'm healthy and my children are happy then that is the most I can do, I'm just a different shape now I've had children and I made sure I bought clothes that were flattering to my new figure and that I could breastfeed easily in and still wear after I had stopped, I became a bit obsessed with scarfs and shoes to accessorise with.

I personally would recommend every new mum to get herself a lovely cardigan or two and some pretty nursing vests, I felt a lot more confident feeding my youngest like this as I wasn't too exposed or hot or cold and could use the scarves for added privacy if I wanted to.

• I don't think I've left it in nearly 12 years.

Not a bad thing.

I'm sure there's a whole new me in there just waiting to get out.I certainly don't want the old one back.
  • Ha I think I'll be in mine permenantly aswel!!!

Would never want to return to ''the old me'' felt a little like I'd lost confidence after birth of DS 1,but it soon returned,with a vengence!!!image

I much prefer the lifestyle I have now,long may the bubble continue.

• I wouldn't want to go back to the old me either, think it just took a bit of time to come to terms with the changes though!  Life is soo much better with children in it that it more than compensates for anything you feel you have given up, I find it much more interesting now they are all walking and talking and I can leave the house without a huge pushchair and nappy bag and we can all go and play together!
  • I'd say it took me just over 2 years to start feeling somewhat like my old self again, but then I suffered with post-natal depression as well. I think that the loss of confidence is a major issue with new mums and it doesn't help when you have celeb mums splattered across the media with their "perfect" bodies weeks after childbirth!!!

These issues need to be talked about more amoungst new mums and healthcare professionals to be realistic in what to expect from your body after childbirth, my son is nearly 3 now and I'm still 3 stone over my pre-birth weight!!!

I still haven't accepted my existing weight and still don't have the confidence in myself that I used to, but I'm getting there and I know I'll get there in the end, just taking a bit longer than expected!