Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Forget eating for two!

Replies

• i ate and ate while pregnant. Either to keep sickness at bay or because i was so hungry. I put on 3half stone each time, but within 12-16weeks it had all gone! I do have rather large babies and big meals or double portions were a no but food was my love. This time i have gestational diabetes. So explains previous 10lb baby! On a diet now and can't eat what i like when i like. In such a bad mood about it and finding it hard, but its best for baby. Plus i may have no weight to loose afterwards! EEEK. I have put on just about 2stone already, but on this diet i may loose some of that! Interesting to hear from others. Xxx
  • I felt so ill at the start of my last pregnancy that i had no appetite, and much of what i did eat came back up. Sickness went away at 16 weeks, and then i got hungry! Still weighed less after giving birth than before i got pregnant though.

Much the same this time, can't bring myself to eat as i feel so rough so no way will i be eating for 2!

• I'm purposefully watching my calorie intake with this pregnancy. Not so much due to weight gain during previous pregnancies (like tigerlily, I weigh less after giving birth than before I got pregnant) but because I am conscious that once I've given birth I eat like a horse and at my peak weighed 5 stone heavier than my pre-children weight. Getting pregnant again was the nudge I needed to do something about it. I'm hoping this time I can get into the habit of eating healthily before giving birth. I have managed to lose weight whilst eating very well and have managed to bring my bmi down from 31.1 to 28.6 without starving myself or putting my baby at risk. I'm hoping to gradually bring my weight down to a healthy bmi then maintain what will essentially be 'baby weight'. I'm looking to minimise the risks my weight could have on my baby and labour. Once giving birth I can carry on losing weight 'til I'm back in my old jeans I stubbornly refused to get rid of!
  • I put on 28lb whilst pregnant, I was still able to wear floaty size ten dresses at the end. As a result my weight was back to normal within about 8 weeks without having to even think about dieting. I really do not understand how people can eat for two - a baby pushing on my tummy ensured that heartburn would set in long before I could manage a second helping!