Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Bleeding = miscarriage? Not necessarily

Replies

• At 11 weeks I started bLeeding the hospital said I was loosing baby I then went doctors because didn't loose anything and they said they hear a heart beat I then went back for a scan at hospital and they said the placenta has pulled away abit and they couldn't be sure about the baby's survival I then had my 12 week scan and they said the placenta was clotting back up and that the baby is perfectly fine and I'm now 15 weeks and I'm still bleeding and they haven't seen me since 12 week scan and said come back for your 20 week scan they are not keeping a close eye on baby n I'm worried anything could have happened with in 7 weeks :/
  • My 1st pregnancy went relatively smooth with little to no symptoms other than a growing bump.  I really didn't listen much to 'Every pregnancy is different' thinking it's me carrying so it should happen much the same way again, how wrong I was.

My 2nd pregnancy I discovered via the GP after what I thought to be a light period continued & I started losing weight.  I was 6-7wks when BFP was confirmed & I was told by GP at that point that bleeding whilst pregnant was actually quite common (even though I was still very nervy).  An early scan showed all to be well other than a low lying placenta irritating my cervix.  My 12wk scan again showed the same & I began to feel better until the following week when bleeding increased to be more heavy with odd clots.  A quick scan at EPU showed all was well still & it was deemed I had 'pulled/strained' a muscle/ligament causing the extra bloodloss.  At 15-16wks it suddenly stopped which startled me at first but within 24hrs I felt those first kicks & was instantly relieved.  My 20wk scan revealed that the extra bloodloss was actually due to my placenta having moved away from my cervix to be directly in the middle of my back (allowing me to feel those kicks) & the rest of my pregnancy progressed happy & healthy.

So bleeding doesn't always spell bad news, it is actually quite common.  If you are bleeding you can help slow/stop bloodloss by resting when you can & avoiding heavy lifting (ideally no more than 15lbs) where you can.  If you are concerned during your first 24wks of pregnancy you are usually able to 'self' refer yourself to your EPU at your hospital for a consultant check/scan.  Best wishes & good luck.

• Hi I just found out I am pregnant by clear blue 2-3 weeks it says I have had two kids before and never suffered this but today I have been bleeding bright red blood not strongly but on my pad say a tea spoon every hour and when I go loo also kids of cramping and hasn't stop I've never had a miscarriage but I really feel like I am any advice on what to do I'm kinda scared
  • At 11 weeks I started bLeeding the hospital said I was loosing baby I then went doctors because didn't loose anything and they said they hear a heart beat I then went back for a scan at hospital and they said the placenta has pulled away abit and they couldn't be sure about the baby's survival I then had my 12 week scan and they said the placenta was clotting back up and that the baby is perfectly fine and I'm now 15 weeks and I'm still bleeding and they haven't seen me since 12 week scan and said come back for your 20 week scan they are not keeping a close eye on baby n I'm worried anything could have happened with in 7 weeks :/