Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Kirstie Allsop takes to Twitter over caesareans

Replies

• I didn't do NCT or other private childcare course but if I had had the money to pay I would have chosen the course which suited me. NCT is entitled to its opinions and if I wanted the best information on C sections I certainly wouldn't go to them! I did the ante-natal courses run by my local NHS and they were brilliant: including one on epidurals and C sections with surgeon and anesthetist there to answer questions.

I think the wider issue is stigma around childbirth full stop. I am in minority having had 2 natural home births and feel very saddened that the majority of women seem to have a traumatic birth experence involving epidurals and emergency C Sections. We should be asking why so few women are having uncomplicated births. Why is there is an increase in C sections as this is not a good thing surely?
  • i cannot understand why so many mums are made to feel like failures after having a section! if you and baby are alive and well that is what matters!! my son might not have made it had he been born "naturally" my daughter was an elcs as she was close after her brother! I am very proud of my children and how the arrived, i know where id rather have stitches lol!!! image
  • We did the NCT antenatal course and I didnt think they brushed over c sections really - they did explain what would happen, the size of the room at the local hospital for c sections and how many people would be in the room - i think 2 or three out of our group had c sections in the end, one because baby was breach and they couldnt turn it and the other two emergency ones. So perhaps it depends on the course tutor, they do try and promote "natural" births as they feel this is best for babies and mums if safe to do so.

To be honest when I was in labour with Harry and he was having so many problems, I just kept on thinking, for goodness sake you are going to give me c section so just get on and do it, luckily when they went to take the cvs(?) sample of blood from his head he was there ready for me to push him out and they used the ventouse to help him be delivered pronto, pronto! I think that stage of labour lasted a few minutes for me!

I am now pleased they didnt give me a c section, I needed stitches but I was no where in as much discomfort as my sister who had emergency section with her last boy. Sections are major surgery to go through - even though I didnt have that I still didnt feel I had not experienced real labour & birth due to the problems etc...

No woman who carries a child and gives birth anyway - should feel a failure as long as she has done what is best for her and baby! (Saying that women who cant get pregnant shouldnt feel a failure either, not all of us are soooo lucky!)
  • Go Kirtsy!!!

After having had an emergency c-sec first time around,I was shocked,saddened,and felt like a failure,not because of anything the NCT or anyone had said,I just assumed I would be able to give birth naturally. It turned out I had cervical stanosis, which means I will never give birth naturally, when I tell other mums I have had 3 sections,they all assume I'm too posh to push,quite the opposite,I was DEVASTATED I couldn't give birth naturally,and hate the fact people jump to conclusions. As it happens I wasn't given any info on sections by midwives,and the only thing written on my birth plan,was avoid section at all costs,after a friend of mine had one and didn't recover very well at all.

I'm very envious of all mums who achieve a natural birth,but am so so grateful to have 3 healthy boys,it overides the dissapointment I felt not giving birth naturally. No woman should ever feel like a failure at this very special precious time.