Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Baby constipation and weaning - best foods and advice

Replies

• thanks for information
  • Kinda worried with my LO.. Baby sitter told me he had the sign of constipation.. his bowel movement time are longer than usual for this week and sometimes did not even have bowel movement. She asked me to pay more attention on his stool and its kinda soft or watery. How should i solve this?
  • Try using house remedies. But for long term, you can switch milk powder that contains high prebiotic it really helps on their constipation problem.
  • Maybe u can try to increase the fiber intake for ur LO cos it helps to smoothen the bowel movement, easier for them to go poo poo. Fruits or prunes perhaps???
  • thanks!!!!!!!!
  • The simplest and safest way is use the long stem of the betel leaf, immerse in Castrol oil and insert 3/4th of the stem in to the anus and hold it very very carefully for about couple of minutes. Make sure you hold the end carefully that it doesn't get in and stuck there. The baby will poop within that time. This Is a natural way. But ensure that the stem doesn't go in fully.
  • I gave my little one extra water throughout the day to make his stool softer and after his meals started giving him a little bit of fennel water to help with digestion.

Ingredients:
    1-2 tablespoons fennel seeds
    1 litre water
    Add fennel seeds to 1 litre of water, bring to boil. Once at boiling point, let to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the flame. Strain the water into container. Allow it to cool before giving to baby, couple of teaspoons.

Also, There are certain foods that give rise to gas and constipation- potatoes, kidneys beans, chick peas, cauliflower, pasta, white bread. I would not give these foods while the little one has constipation or gas.

Also, if you are breast feeding, it is important what you eat as I found if I ate some of the above foods, my little one would end up getting gas.