Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Maxi-Cosi FeroFix

Replies

• I got the ferofix in total black to test. It really is an excellent carseat. My review for it is in the review section, as I am using my phone at present and can't copy and paste it onto here.
  • I am taking part in consumer testing for the Maxi-Cosi Ferofix car seat for 4 – 12 year olds, on behalf of Dorel UK. The seat arrived at my workplace and immediately my colleagues who have children/grandchildren gathered round to see the new seat I had been talking about for a week. The steel grey colour got many admiring looks and the embroidered circles give that little extra touch. The seat cover fabric is lovely and soft and is cotton rather than some of the nylon/polyester seat covers I have had which click and go bobbly. I had various people asking me if I really wanted it and wouldn't I like to give it them instead. I was adamant that yes I did want it, yes it is a car seat but it just looks lovely even in the box.

This was my first experience of an Isofix seat, and fitting it into my Ford Fiesta (2009 model), onto the Isofix points was simple, it was done in seconds, and then the seat belt passes through an easily accessible guide just under the headrest, there is a little hook that falls into place to keep it there and when removing the seat belt you lift this and the seat belt easily slides out, not at all fiddly like one seat I have used.

I am testing the seat with a just 4 year old, who weighs just over 15kg, so she is at the bottom of the age/size range for this seat and therefore the headrest is in its lowest position. Despite this of course I have had a play and the adjustment is easy, press the button on the top of the headrest and pull upwards, as you pull upwards the side wings expand outwards – genius. This is amazing and I have demonstrated this feature to everyone who will let me. It is just as easy to return to the original position, press the button in again and push down to the required height and the side wings go back in again.

The seat has two positions, upright and recline, the reclined position is achieved by pressing in two buttons at the front corners of the seat and pulling toward you. This appears to give a good relaxing position but I have not actually used it as yet.

My little tester was reluctant at first to make the transition from her Maxi-Cosi Axiss to her new “big girl seat” but once tempted into it she commented that she liked it because it was comfy and soft and she does look very comfortable sitting in it.

At £175 it is not at the cheaper end of the price range for this category of seat but you can tell that the quality is good and whilst being robust it is lightweight and will, I imagine, last the years it is needed.

Not that I want to ever take it out of my car but, for the purposes of testing, I have tried it in friends cars and in all cases it has been just as simple to fit as in my own. Some of my friends have older children so a few of different ages have tried it and the comments have all been very positive. Obviously a seat with a backrest is safer than just the booster cushion type but one size doesn't fit all unless you have a Ferofix. Older children begin to resent being in a seat when their friends aren't and peer pressure may make you give in and tell them they don't have to use a seat anymore – all the children that have tried my Ferofix (ranging from 4 to 11) have said that they like the seat and would be happy to travel in it, even to school.

Everyone who transports children in a vehicle needs one (or more) of these seats. My 4 year old has asked when she is getting one for the other car!