Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Kym Marsh hits back at breastfeeding critics on Twitter

Replies

• i think this is completely different to denise van outen - her reasons for stopping 'not wanting to be seen in public' was totally unhelpful to struggling breastfeeding mums in a country which finds breastfeeding 'disgusting' and we need all the support we can get, especially when we live in a society obssessed with celebrity any kind of positive endorsement would be great.

kym has had quite enough to deal with without criticism about how she fed her daughter, especially when she did her best in the first place. i can only imagine the worry which would come with dealing with a premature baby in normal circumstances let alone after a still birth.

it's one thing to have an opinion on a topic - that's how people learn about each other and how to respect views, but to personally verbally attack someone, and someone you dont really know or what their circumstances are is disgusting.
  • I gave up breastfeeding my son at 7 weeks, because I was also struggling to produce enough milk and eventually my son started to lose weight. However, two and a half years later I am still made to feel guilty, which is so wrong. I agonised about this, and only stopped when his health was starting to suffer!

Breastfeeding should be a personal thing, and if the mother can't or doesn't want to, then that's her decision to make; it's her body and her baby! Don't get me wrong I agree that breastmilk is the best start for a baby but formulas are improving all the time, and my son is no worse off for me not perservering.

More should be done to encourage mothers without criticsing them. I was offered little support even though I contacted my midwife several times, and was offered no advice prior to me giving birth, my antenatal class didn't even mention it. If the authorities are so keen for people to breastfeed they should offer more support and advice before and after baby is born!

I for one praise both Kym and Denise for admitting they found it tough and gave up!
  • It always amazes me that people think they have the right to tell mothers how to feed their babies.

I breastfed my premature daughter for as long as I could, it is much much harder than breastfeeding a full term baby, you have consultants involved and the baby needs to keep gaining wait, leveling off for a week or two as full term babies do is not an option you can accept, I spent 4 months sat feeding her for 20mins every hour, luckily for me she was me eldest child and I wasn't also trying to look after older children like Kym.

I hope she enjoys every minute with her tiny daughter!
  • I have BF and formula fed my children. No-one prepares you for how hard it is. If I'd of been warned that I'd need tubes and tubes of nipple cream, boxes of paracetemonl and be uncomfortable feeding outside for months then I'd have had a lot less stress and worry about 'doing it right' and that's without having a premature babies needs to consider and cater for. I love breastfeeding but the guilt when it doesn't work is pretty heavy for an already stretched Mum to cope with. Live and let live and hopefully she can be kinder to herself than the silly opinionated twitterers have been. Being a Mummy is hard work however you feed but we all get there in the end!
  • i suffered a stillbirth about the same time as kim,i have since had a very premature baby,and am pregnant again.i have had all the same problems as kim,but managed to breastfeed/express for 6 months.but it was hard work,and doesnt make me any better than her.i wonder if all the critics are or have been breast feeders?? i doubt it.good luck kim,i know you never get over losing a baby,but polly will help come to terms with everything xx
  • It's disgusting that Kim Marsh has been criticised for doing her best for her baby. My first baby ended up in special care baby unit as he was unable to latch on. Once he was on formula he thrived. No new mums should be pressurised by so-called perfect earth mothers or midwives.
  • its her business what she does