Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Car seats – what types are there?

Replies

• i too have chosen a rearfacing group 1 seat, the britax 2-way elite, so my daughter can be rearfacing up to 5 years (25kg)

please people - do your research - it's a shame madeformums didnt
  • I wouldn't use any other than a rear facing seat until my daughter is much older...it's what most european countries use- they are proven to be much safer if you have an accident...We opted for the Brio model which was really easy to install.

Ten facts that may convince you that rear-facing is the safest option to choose.

Rear facing is five times safer than forward facing.

The British Medical Journal published a report on 11th June 2009 stating that rear facing seats are safer than forward facing seats for children under 4yrs.

Two thirds of child fatalities in the under–four age group occur in cars (the AA).

The British Medical Journal have published an alert on their website advising parents to keep young children in rear facing seats for as long as possible.

A US study involving 870 children aged under 2yrs concluded that rear facing seats were more effective than forward facing seats in protecting children aged 0-23 months for all crash types.

In Sweden between July 2006 and November 2007 not one child under the age of six was killed in a car crash. Children in Sweden sit rear facing until the age of four.

205 children under 5 are seriously injured in the UK every year and a further 21 are killed, while in cars (the AA).

Frontal and frontal offset car-to-car crashes are by far the most common sort of accident. They are also the most dangerous.

A child’s neck only needs to stretch more than a quarter of an inch before snapping.

There are no reported incidents of rear facing children hurting their legs.