Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talkback: Down’s syndrome tests

Replies

• I would like to think that I wouldnt terminate a pregancy because my unborn baby had downs, but until you are actually faced with that decision I dont think you can 100% say, however either way I would want to know so that I could prepare myself and be aware of what to expect as a mum of an extra special baby.
  • I have a child with downs and yes we were offered all the tests and had numberous scans but we decided not to go for invasive test (cvs, amnio) as these all carry a risk of miscarriage and we wanted to keep our baby, but if they are sure u are offered a termination, but i have heard stories of people being told there baby has downs, having a termination then finding out the baby was fine. I love my son and yes it has its challenges but it dosn't matter to me, he's great.
  • I think invasive tests should only be considered if your other indicators are high as there are risks.  However, the miscarriage rates you see are likely to be averages across the country.  The best private practices can have significantly lower rates.  We had a private CVS test for #2 but not #3 as the risks from non-invasive testing was very low.  

• When I was pregnant I was offered the usual blood tests to look for indicators, I didnt have them done. I felt the usual scan would show up anything major. Being form a community care background and having friends and familiy with different disabilities and illnesses I felt there would be no way I would abort due to downs. These test can only show us the risk of a couple of illnesses or disabilities that can effect our childrens lifes. Anything can happen at any time either in or out of the womb so these test can only ever show us so much. It is all very personla though and I would never be negative towards people who decide to have the tests carried out.
  • Early scans can give an indiction of the risk of Down's syndrome....(a RISK, or a chance of down syndrome, i mean, is it really risky buisness if your child is born with Down syndrome? after all the tests are said and done, doesn't it simply give you the option to terminate?