Forum home Article comments

Replies

• Why are you an older lady considering getting pregnant/ pregnant? I have one little boy just turned four this November, I am 38, going to be 39 in february. Personally if I dont have any more by the time I am 40 as in pregnant by that time I dont think I would try and get pregnant after that time. I had to wait a long time for Harry to come along and I love him more than anything but he was very hard work, slept very little im the first seven months I think I rarely got much more htan 2 hours sleep at a time. I just find motherhood very hard work and really tiring, although I think its the biggest priveledge in the world I just think the older you get the more tiring it is, but it depends on the women, if you are a very fit person with tons of energy anyway then it may be easier. Each women is different. A lady at work has a 14 year old and has just had another baby at 40 and is hoping for another one very soon.... Whatever your plans, good luck x
  • There's no definitive answer to the question. There's so many things to be taken into consideration and everybody's circumstances are different.

When I was born my parents were in their late 30's/early 40's and back in the 1970's that was considered quite old to be starting a family (not that they chose to start a family late it just didn't happen and there was no such thing as IVF etc back then).  Personally as a child I found it difficult because my parents were more or less the same age as most of my friends' grandparents.  Not only that but there was always a huge generation gap between my parents and me and I often felt that we were really not on the same wavelength on many things.  I know this isn't really anythings to do with it but another thing I remember is that when I was about 7 or 8 years old my parents decided to write their will and asked me what I wanted as regards their possessions etc when they died.  I think it was wrong of them to involve me at such a young age because from that moment on I was convinced that my parents were going to die some time soon and it was something I worried about throughout my entire childhood.  I always swore that I would have my children when I was in my early 20's.  Due to circumstances that didn't happen and I didn't have my first child until I was 30.  Part of me still wishes that I'd had my children 10 years ago but that's down to issues that I've got to learn to deal with.  I adore my little girl though and we seem to be on the same wavelength so no probs there.

However don't take too much notice of my waffle, i was just speaking from my personal experiences more than 25 years ago.  Remember that times have changed considerably since then.  These days it's certainly not unusual for people to start a family when they're in their 40's. 40 is the new 30!  In some respects in can be more beneficial as an older mum will have had more experience of life.  I know lots of fantastic older mums and equally fantastic younger mums.         

• Any views on when a woman is too old to be a Mum?