Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Having trouble with your kid's homework? You're not alone!

Replies

• I commented on this article when I read it in the Bedforshire News. I'll repeat my comments here for the benefit of your readers. There are reasons why there is so much conflict in families over homework, but the sad part is that we plod forward with the practice instead of stepping back and questioning whether it helps. The research gives scant, if any, support for homework, and teachers are not trained in homework-giving in their schools of education. Homework, unlike schoolwork, is given by the assignment whereas the school day is determined by the clock. Children work at varying paces so it is not surprisng that close to 50% have conflict over homework. Those that work more slowly than average (over half) have more homework (measured by time) to do each day than those other children do. If we required children to work for a fixed amount of time and gave them credit for whatever they did, we would reduce conflict, increase homework completion, and improve education. Kenneth Goldberg, Ph.D. Author of The Homework Trap.