Forum home Article comments

Talkback: Freebirthing – would you choose to give birth without a medical professional?

Replies

• It's not illegal to have an unassisted birth with someone (untrained) present, the only thing "illegal" about it is if that person acts as a midwife, for instance if they were to use a doppler to monitor baby or check dilation of the cervix etc. Which most women who decide to Freebirth are specifically wanting to avoid, so I doubt it applies.

Freebirthing with a doula or labour partner is legal.
  • Definitely not for me, but I'm incredibly impressed with Nancy's confidence. When did it become illegal for anyone to assist in the delivery of a baby? I can understand the need for regulation for the safety of vulnerable mothers & their babies but surely it is not good if mums like Nancy feel that they have to be so secretive? I'm interested what others have to say ablout this - I've never really thought about it before.
  • My daughter recently told me how much it costs to give birth in the USA and I just about DIED! I love the natural and beautiful act of birth. I had two child in the 90's at home. Both children would have been taken c-section had I chosen to go to a hospital. I would have been among the many stories of thank GOD we were at the hospital...I have a theory that women have been so manipulated by the system in the name of "good care", it is time we encourage each other to take back our bodies and know that giving birth is a beautiful natural act. Complications are more likely to arrive when you try and fit into all the rules and regulations of a hospital or a birthing center. I am happy to find that it is now call "free birthing" or "unassisted birthing"... I will be sending this information along to my daughter.