Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Mum ordered to leave restaurant after changing baby's nappy in his pram

Replies

• Options
    I'm sorry, I would not change a baby in the eating area of a restaurant. That is just wrong and unsanitary. The restaurant should have offered a place for the quick change and if not, I would have done it in the toilet area, not in thea restaurant, independently of being in a corner or it not being a poo...
  • Options
    I've had a few times where I've done a public nappy change... for example on a plane when the seatbelt sign was on so we couldn't get up to use the bathroom.... it's not like I would do it for the sake of it but if the baby needs changing and facilities aren't available then you do what you have to do!
  • Options
    At restaurants where there has been no changing table I have either squashed him into a space by the sink or else taken him out to the car & changed him there... if at all possible I would not do it where people are eating.
  • Options
    I have a similar story that happened to me the first time I went out with my 6 week old baby. I didn't even get to change her I had to walk down the road to Pizza Express restaurant who were really kind and let me in to change her.

It was so humiliating being a new mum, and being served food and drink with them knowing full well you have a baby. These places should tell you they have no facilities before they take your money.

I was in Rome recently with my little girl who is 10 months,

Not one restaurant we went to had a changing room, but all of the staff went out of there way to provide me with a spot to change my baby girl, we even had a big poo explosion in the Vatican Museum so I asked a member of staff if they had a changing room, they did not but he just took me to a quite corner and let me clean he up.

I kept thinking about the lady who would not let me change my little girl discreetly in a very empty pub in the uk and how all the Italians went out of there way to make sure my little girl was changed and comfortable in a busy city.