Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should you make your kids do chores?

SystemSystem mod
edited May 21, 2019 3:10AM in Article comments

imageShould you make your kids do chores?

Is it good for them? Or just a giant faff? We've got 8 reasons for and against children doing chores: how would you vote?

Read the full story here

Replies

• Hello,

No kids should NOT have regular chores. Kids are kids NOT mini adults and need childhoods! Play is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in childhood. Kids have school, homework, etc already. EVERYTHING they can learn with chores they can learn in other ways. Yes, we should teach kids skills, etc and its OK if they help once in a while but making them have chores on a regular basis is WRONG! I did not have chores as a kid and have NO problems as an adult, I thank my parents for giving me a CHILDHOOD. I do the same with my kids!

Sincerely,
    Th. Papaioannou
  • Thanks for your comment, tp1976. It's always good to hear what people think about this!
  • I do 12 hour night shifts four times a week, and their dad works Monday to Friday during the day. Kids are eight and eleven. I'm fed up with constantly having to clean the house by myself after a night shift or before I go to work, and my husband is exactly the same. If my kids want those nice things and want money then they can work for it. I have given them a behaviour chart, so when they reach the end of the chart they can have as much screen time and play as they want and they get pocket money at the end of the week. I don't want my kids getting their first job and not knowing a thing about hard earned cash! So damn straight my kids do chores everyday, and an hour of homework afterschool, and go to school six hours a day. It's about balance and rewarding them for hard work. I understand parents making kids do chores and the kids don't get anything but I reward my children and they actually feel good for getting praise for such small things.
  • Thanks for your comment HarrietteWP. It's really interesting to hear how things work in your family.