Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

So, will you/did you name your baby after someone in your family?

Hello

Ever since the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced they were calling their newborn daughter Charlotte Elizabeth Diana – with the obvious, touching tributes to the baby's great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth and grandmother Princess Diana – we've been wondering how many parents and parents-to-be still name their babies after other family members.

But is it something you'd do or have done? Or would you rather go 'off piste' and choose an original name for your child?

Do tell us what you think about 'family baby names' by adding a post to this thread. Or they for you or not? We'd really love to know!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/88363.jpg

Replies

• I like playing tribute to family with baby names. My daughter has my middle name and her name is the name of a great-grandmother, although we chose it because we love the name. 

With this new baby if it's a girl their middle name will be my name, we aren't sure on a first name yet. As for a boy his two middle names would be after my husbands Granddad and my Dad, and then his first name is a traditional name that's been used in the family for years (although we also love it). There aren't any living relatives with it though (just like there aren't any living relatives with my daughters name)

• my oh and I want two children the first girl would have my mums, mums name as her middle name. I was named after her but it was made slightly different to her actual name. The first boy would have my oh dads name as a middle name then second daughter would have oh mums, mums name as Middle name and second son would have my dads name as Middle name. Our first names that we have chosen are unusual. 

• My little girl's middle name is Elizabeth after my Nan x

• We gave our daughter my husbands late sisters name for a middle name & our son has my grandads middle name (& apparently his grandfather before him) so we have a name from my family & from my husbands family.

• Hi everyone im gonna name my baby after my husband dad name

• My littleone will be named after his/her grandmother/grandfather 

• We are pregnant with twins. If they are boys we are going to call them Billy & Teddy.

My grandad is Edward and my hubbys late grandad was William.