Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

WWYD - baby name

I've had real problems finding a boys name that both my hubby & I like. The trouble is the only 1 that I think we both like is the name of 1 of my oldest schools friends boy (whose 6). It's a fairly common name & I know other children with the same name but I don't want her to think I'm taking her name but I seriously can't see us finding another name, I even had a dream last night that we'd chosen this name.

I was chatting last weekend with another friend whose daughter has a very unusual name & she's really angry that a friend of hers has used 'her name'. I'm trying to think how I would feel if it was the other way round & I don't think I'd mind but not sure, thanks

Replies

• Options

How often do you see this friend? If you see her all the time, I don't think I'd use it, but if you don't see her that often, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

• Options

How often do you see the friend? I think I'd use it if it wasn't the type of friend I seen on a daily basis,

Our next door neighbours grandson is Isaac who is 6 days older than Lucas and in Ls class and one of Ls friends, but it's never been an issue. Also (I just realised this the other day) our boys name this time was likely to be the names of my friends 2 boys but she uses the shirt versions, and she asked what my bits name was and I said the full name and the 2 of us said later omg that's s combjnation if the boys names Laugh

• Options

My honest opinion is that if you like the name then you should use it! My son has the same name as my brother, who has the same name as my uncle, who had the same name as my Grandad...I don't suppose that's the same thing as it's a family name, but I'd feel quite proud if someone named their child the same as the name we chose as it shows that someone else thinks we chose a good name!  But that's just me, i always take the approach that the name isn't owned or copyrighted by anyone, so it's not like your not allowed.  I think the only time you couldn't use the same name as someone, would be if that someone was you.  Two children with the same name would get confusing...although shouting on them would be a bit less time consuming! :-)

• Options

I rarely see her as most of my friends still live where I grew up so I only see them when I'm visiting & as that tends to be in the holidays this particular friend is often away visiting her inlaws, probably haven't seen her in at least a year & a half.

Thanks for honest opinions

• Options

I'd do it based on the fact you really don't see her that often. I sympathise though, H and I had one name for a boy that we liked when I was pregnant with S and no names for a girl. We were saying at the weekend that we are screwed this time around!

• Options

I would use the name!

It doesn't belong to anybody...I'm sure your friend won't mind. I would be flattered.

• Options

I would use the name x

• Options

Another vote for use the name. Maybe not if you saw her often, or if the two children were closer in age, but in these circs I cant see any reason not to. If I was in your friends position I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

• Options

Thanks ladies, I'm intending to ring my friend tonight so hopefully she'll be ok with it, fingers crossed. I think choosing a name has been 1 of the most stressful parts of this pregnancy!

• Options

Snap! Same here Laugh. It sounds like you rarely see her but I know what you mean with it being a close friend though

I'm sure she'd think it was fine for you to use

• Options

I don't know how I would feel about it. My BIL and his wife named their nephew a name that I had told her I liked years ago and it really bothered me. But then, her sister named her boy the same name as my SS so now SIL has two nephews with the same name! Maybe run it by her?