Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to agree on a name??

My oh and I are having a boy. He likes very traditional classic names. However, I am a teacher and find it really hard to like anything he suggests, either i hear/say the name 200 times a day already or link it to a child I'd rather not be reminded of! 

I just want a name that's for my baby, not one where I already know 5 people called that! 

So basically we need something traditional but uncommon. Any suggestions of names or how you agreed on names would be great!! 

Replies

• Oh it's so hard when you're a teacher! A friend of mine had a nightmare trying to decide. At the end of the day you have plenty of time to choose a name, and your choices do change throughout pregnancy. I've gone off and on to so many names it's unreal.

We are quite lucky in that me and hubby tend to like similar names, but then again this time around we haven't chosen a girls name yet at all, so I'm seriously hoping this LO is a boy! We already have a girl anyway so it would be nice to have one of each. 

All I can suggest is trawling through the baby name books/websites/lists and noting down any that you like, and then seeing if he likes them too! That's what we did!

• Yeah I must get a book! We did lists of what we had in mind but they were completely different! 

Are you keeping the gender a surprise? Good luck with deciding a girls name! I find them easier than boys, but probably cos I know I'm not having a girl haha x

• Me and my partner have picked very unusual names! image for a boy we decided Koby and for a girl Aurora, some people are not too sure but I like a name you don't hear very often!

• Very nice. Yep its good to have ssomething unique! Glad you two can agree haha x