Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Your baby name: who picked it and did you both agree?

Hi everyone,

We’ve just been reading about Cheryl and Liam naming their son: apparently Liam was more into traditional names, but Cheryl likes more unique ones, and in the end, she chose to name their baby Bear. After all, as Liam said, ‘she’s the one who’s done all the work’.

This had us wondering, when you had your baby, who picked your baby's name? And did you both agree on it? Maybe your partner or you took some persuading? Did you have to fight for a name? And if you did, does your partner like the name now?

We would love to hear how your baby came by his or her name, so please do come and tell us by posting a reply to this thread. We’d love to hear from you!

Replies

• My hubby and I both wrote down 10-15 names that we liked and then compared lists. 

We had 4 names that matched! 

Jenson was listed as both of our favourites so that was that! Definitely didn't expect it to be so easy! 

Harry is his middle name as tribute to both of our grandfathers (Harold and Harry) 

• I picked the name of our baby boy. I never got to meet my husbands father- he passed away very Soon after I met him. So I named him Patrick-but he's goes by the name Paddy - which is what everyone called his grandfather. 

• With my first, me and hubby had a list of 5 names we both liked - but when our DD arrived, she didn't 'fit' any of those names, so i plucked one that husband had previously rejected, as it just suited her perfectly. 

With our second, we went back to the good old list again! Husband picked a unisex name off the list, and it suited our second DD, so we went with that. So really, i named our first and he named our second. 

• My 6 month old my oh chpose he supports Tottenham our boy is named Kane after harry Kane my two girls I choose kaitlin and summer 

• image Freya hope is my oldest daughters name, I picked her first name n then my mum pick hope due to all the issues during pregnancy and that she needed surgery

Harper faith is my youngest my mum picked both, Harper she just mentioned it n me n my other half loved it n then faith as it matched her sisters but after her getting stuck during birth n not breathing it has more of a meaning now like her sisters xx

• I decided when I was 11 (23 years ago!) that if I ever had a daughter I'd call her Bethan. When me and hubby got together I told him this and he agreed. So really we named our little girl (who is 6 weeks old today) 15 years ago.

We originally named our embryo Emerson and called baby that throughout my entire pregnancy so we had to use that and it's her middle name.

• My partner named our little girl Grace, however he did not know that when I was a toddler my very first doll was called Grace! We didnt have a boys name throughout my pregnancy so it was as if she was meant to be! 

She is our little miracle baby and definitely lives up to her name 😍

• My son is called Patrick James. I just always loved the name and my husband liked it too. James was my godfather who had died the year before and I really wanted to have a wee tribute to him and my husband was happy.

Found out my grandfather was actually called James Patrick so was a nice tribute to him too.

This time we're having a girl and I want to name her Saoirse and I think my husband is finally coming round to it but I've had negative comments from everyone.

• katt1906... I love the name Saoirse! x

• Katt1906 - I think it's a beautiful name as well

• As our husband picked our first child's name (Harrison) we agreed that I would choose our 2nd child's name. However he came home one night and said he had fallen in love with the name Arlo.  That was it.... I fell in love with the name there and then. His second name (jackson) is after my husband's grandfather.  

• My ex partner chose my first daughters name I didnt have a choice even tho I didnt like it then I like it now (Lily) my second because we didnt know her gender we had to think of both she was supposed to be Aria for a girl and boys was harder as i loved Elijah but my partner didnt, it was the day before I went into labour I watched the golden compass and thats where Lyra came from loved it from hearing it and it suited her

• My partner choose our first boy he is Ashley because we liked the name and William after his grandad. Our second boy was harder to choose we both suggested Dylan but said we knew people with dogs called Dylan so we asked his aunty without telling her names and she said Dylan so that's what he was his middle name is Preston after his nans maiden name I wanted him to be called Preston but partner wasn't happy with that so agreed for it to be his middle name. Our last boy was Unnamed still at 6 hours old when my after came back to the hospital I asked him he kept calling the baby Freddie and I have always loved the name harry so I said is it harry or Freddie our eldest said robin after batman and Robin lol so I told him I really loved harry and he sod fine he went to get some food came back and I had announced that his name was harry on Facebook lol just to make sure I actually got to call him it. His middle name was chosen in the registry office and he is harry James which I love. Love how all my names have a's and Y's in them lol 

• My step son was named by his father (my husband). Carlos Rae, Carlos is My husbands fathers name and Rae is his older brothers middle name. I met Carlos and Lee when Carlos was 1. I am pregnant with twin boys right now and the moment we found out they were boys we started trading names, we soon came to the conclusion that they would have a middle name the was close to Carlos middle name and my husband and I would choose a name each, Baby A is Jace Rhi. Lee names him baby A Jace because Jace was one of our close friends who sadly passed away last year and Lee has always loved that name, obviously Rhi is close to Rae. Baby B will be Brock Rix. I named him Brock because it is my twin brothers middle name, and we always talked about that, he named his daughter Kara which is my middle name so I believed it was only fitting, and once again Rix is very close to Rae and Rhy. So yeah thats how. Carlos Rae. Jace Rhi and Brock Rix were named.

• Hi there. Choosing baby names has always been that tricky time. I am a fanatic for branding names. From the family that I am from, my dad use to give names to his children. I have never regretted that, haha. I love my name and feel my siblings have awesome names too. I even thought once I could go back to my dad to help me in naming my children. Now with my own child, I never went back to my dad. My husband prefers family name. I prefer unique names that no one has ever had in the family. Our child got names from both of us. I gave her the first name while my husband gave her the second name. We prefer that type of naming. We fuse family and wide variety of other names too.

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• My OH and I struggle with names! We both like unusual/not heard of names but always go to completely different ones! Normally takes our whole pregnancy to decide.

We are expecting our third and have agreed on a couple early on this time, however he did say he was unsure of one of the names the other day - you should’ve seen my face.

• I was 24 when i had my first and we never discussed names until about a week before my due date. (we didn't know the gender) I came up with a girls name Tillee and my husbands came up with a boys name sunny. 

I absolutely fell in love with Sunny, and was praying that we would have a boy. we were over the moon when little Sunny Mark was born, mark being my husbands middle name. 

we are currently pregnant with twins and again we didn't want to know the gender, but we have 2 boy names Bohdi and Cove and 2 girls names Fern and Tillee. 

whats your thoughts on the names? 

• Reign :) that is really nice with your naming before and now for twins :)) I like the names

personally for me and my husband we went through baby names ages ago.. I believe we were only 1 year into relationship at the time and both of us went through many baby names and choose top 10-20 and then we were looking for ones that both of us liked and we came up with a name for boy and girl.. later on I came across even better name for girl so we discussed it that we will change it to that one as it is nicer than the one we choose before, and now (5 years since we know names) when we are finally expecting our first when we will know the gender we will start calling our bean his or her name straightaway..