Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Choosing between two boys' names

We have many reasons for loving both of these names, but don't want to affect your reactions! Any thoughts, preferences, or side-effects/coincidences we haven't thought of, for a boy:

Alexander
Maximilian

Context: I'm Irish, my wife is Chinese, we are living in Oxford, UK. The child will also have a name in Chinese which has already been set. 

PS Thank you for helping with this! It's one of those things you can't ask family for help with, if they preferred one or the other it could be troublesome.

Replies

• I love both names but think you have to be prepared for people to call the baby Alex or Max - long as you're happy with that, see which suits your baby better when you get to meet him! 

• Alexander is the one that I adore it. :) Alex is also a name that sounds good to me in a case of short version of Alexander.

• Alexander is going to be my sons middle names if we have a boy but I love Maximilian because it is so different! 

And if you don’t want it shortened make sure you correct everyone! I had to do that with my daughters name - they soon learnt not too lol.