Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One Life napppies?

Is anyone using these? I'm thinking of getting some and just looking for any advice.

xxx

Replies

• Options
    I bought some Onelife to try on Teagan but have ended up using Tots Bots instead as she is quite petit and they always seemed to dwarf her. They are lovely nappies and look really cute on. They did absorb well, I didn't have any leaks with them.

I tried to sell mine on ebay but they got taken off because they were used, the gits! (Seems stupid to me as they are re-usable but that's Ebay for you) I would recommend getting a trial pack or day pack first if you're unsure, rather than forking out loads on the full set. I use www.usednappies.co.uk for buying some of my TB (and I'll probs be selling my Onelife on there soon too, shameless plug for me!)

Corinna x
  • Options
    Hi Beth and Corinna!
    I quite fancy the idea of not filling the earth with heaps of disposables too, but really have no idea with what is involved. Do you wash them yourself or does some lovely person take them away and do it for you?? (may be wishful thinking on my part??) How many do you recon you would need??
    xx
  • Options
    Hiya,

I wash them myself, it's no big deal really, I dry pail them when worn (store them in a lidded bucket with no water) then just bung them in the washing machine. You don't want to use fabric conditioner as it affects the absorbancy. I often tumble dry mine at the moment but hopefully soon can start hanging them out on the line. They come out of the tumbler really soft and fluffy (I'm using Tots Bots), I don't use tumble sheets, only those softener ball things (got mine in the Pound shop!)

You can arrange for people to wash them for you. From what I read a while back they reckoned the cost was similar to using disposables so not too expensive.

I use mine only for daytime at home, as she is such a heavy wetter they'd never cope with a full night time! I have 7 at the moment, I would say for daytime use you really need about 10, for fulltime use probably 15-20.

My husband was very sceptical at first because he remembered days of nappy pins and stabbed fingers, but they are nothing like that now! He's converted, I like the Tots Bots because they are so quick and easy to put on, I have the aplix (velcro) ones. You can also get popper ones, but I wasn't so keen as they weren't as adjustable as velcro. There's so much choice out there, they can cost as much or as little as you like. Best thing would be to get a couple of a few different makes, as not all nappies suit all babies.

I was a wimp and didnt start using re-usables until 4 1/2 months, as Teagan is breast fed and her poos were very explosive to start with! Now that she's weaning it's no problem at all. You also get such a smug feeling knowing you are helping the environment!!

Sorry it's been a bit of an essay, as you can tell I'm converted!!

Corinna x
  • Options
    Hi, I am a nappy addict and have probably about 150 reusable napies at home and also about 30 wraps with all the accessories to go with.

I use tots as a main with lots of others for variety chucked in there also.

I also dry pail and then bung them all in the wash to do a nappy was with the smallest amount of washing powder and sometimes a few drops of tea tree oil to strip them of any nasties IF baby has a sore bum for any reason.

I have used cloth on 3 out of my 4 children and would never go back to disposables again.

Night time nappies are different to day time ones though as you need more absorbancy to last all night. I use stuffables during the night so i can boost it as much as is needed to last 12 hours.

If you only want to purchase tots or similar, you can buy booster pads (or make your own out of flannels) to place between nappy and wrap to add a few layers for extra absorbancy for night time if you dont want to purchase night cloth.

There are plenty of places though where you can pick up cheap cloth second hand and also lots of variety out there.

Welcome to the dark side of nappy addiction image
  • Options
    I've used one life nappies for both my sons and they are brilliant - i've never had a problem with leaks or soaking through. I also don't use them at night. I have about 20 I think. It means I can have some to use, some to wash and some to dry. If you are planning to use a tumble drier then you probably won't need so many.
    The only downside is that the wrap is seperate so you have to put the nappy on and then the wrap too but this makes it easier to wash and dry as i think some all-in-ones can maybe not wear so well (not sure?)
    I also found that they were a bit big when the boys were newborn even though they adapt for smaller sizes by folding a different way and not having the insert in. I wasn't really planning on using them from birth anyway as it just seems too much to take on.
    x
    Katybee - how have you managed to get 150 nappies!!?
  • Options
    I've got some OneLife nappies and find them far too big for LO (
  • Options
    Hi

I use onelife nappies but have found them too small. My 10 month old is 22lb with cubby legs. I have found that even on the largest popper they are tight and the other popper not being used mark his legs so I am trying to fold the terry nappies at the moment.

I would not buy the big onelife set as they are too big for newborns, so the 1st size cover is a total waste of money as when the nappies fit it is too small to cover them.

Having said that I always used them at night and have never had any leaks.

If I did it again I would buy less nappies as I only really use them at night cause they are so bulky when little one is playing.