Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

gettin in to a routine with them

hiya

i have re usable nappies fro little earthlets and fine them really good but i car seem to get into rotine of using them dont no why your normally ment to have 4 in soak 4 inwash 4 spare n 4 ready to use i just car seem to get this ...

and i have the proper bin to soak them in but its startin to stink now i washed it out just car seem to get rid of the smell!

would also like to say im glad i invested in these nappies it was a expensive pay out ??250 at first but they are well worth the money

thanks for readin or any comment i have back x x

Replies

• Am I right in thinking that you have 16 nappies in total? How old is your lo? Every body does it diferently but this is what I do with my reusables. I think I have about 15 nappies but Millie is 22 months now so we only use 3-4 a day (she wears eco disposables at night) I normally wash them every 3 days. They go in the wash as soon as she has gone to bed and then depending on the wether forcast, either straight in the dryer or on the line in the morning. My nappies dry pretty quickly so I only need to have three spare when I wash to be pretty sure of having enough. Personally I don't bother soaking my nappies, they get thrown in the washing bin dry and then put straight into the washing machine and I don't have any problems at all with smell. I have heard that soaking them can be really smelly and in my experience you don't need to to get them clean. If I were you I wouldn't get to worried about how many you have dry/spare/soaking etc try just washing when you have three or four left clean and see how you get on. Just make sure you have a couple of disposables on hand in case of suprises!
    Kerry xx
  • thank u 4 ur reply i might forget about soaking them now then cause that would be so much easier thank u again x x x
  • And also try dipping a cotton bud in tea tree oil and securing it under the lid of your nappy bin, this should help keep smells at bay :\) (or so I'm told, I have 4 months before I can say for myself!)
  • Haven't used it for this purpose yet but teatree oil is a wonder product and I imagine it would work well. (We use it for all sorts of home made green-cleaning products).

My LO isn't here yet so can't speak practically just yet but was wondering if you are waiting to wash them on their own? I was thinking that I would use a soak method because theoretically you don't have to wash at all - only rinse after soaking - so I reckoned that I would soak but then stick in the wash overy other day with all the muslins and babygrows etc as I imagine the baby will create enough dirty washing to have machine on every other day?

Have I got this all wrong? :\?
  • Depends Redpod, you can't use conditioner with nappies as it makes them less absorbent so if your going to wash clothes with softener than no you shouldnt do it all in one wash.

Saying that I'm not sure I'd want to wash dirty nappies with clothes anway :\?
  • Think it depends on how many nappies you have as well, my dirty nappies are a full load by themselves so I couldn't put clothes in with them any way. I think it might be one of those that you have to wait and see how much washing you have as some babies are a lot sickier than others as well!!
    xx
  • well i goin to try n leave the soaking out n just washin them in the washer! see how they cum up thanks for all the comment
    x x