Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding and reusables

Hi everyone, first time mum here needing some advice!!

I am currently using disposable nappies (my baby is only 9 days old) with the intention of swapping to reusables by the end of the first month. I don't know if the fact that I am breast feeding affects her poo at all, but I have been surprised by just how runny it is! My question is, if you are using reusables with a flushable liner, what happens........do the liners collect the runny stuff or does it soak through into the nappies itself? If so, does soaking remove this from the nappies or do they end up getting very stained and does it affect their absorbancy?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I will be using Onelife if this makes a difference.

Corinna x

Replies

• I find that the liner catches most of the poo but some of it does inevitably seep through (as well as round!) the liner onto the nappy. I dry pail my nappies so I don't know whether soaking would remove it or not. I have found that some nappies show the stains more than others, cotton seems to absorb the stains the most whereas the fleece lined ones don't stain as badly. Defiantely doesn't affect the absorbancey though. One tip I would give you is to run a rinse cycle before washing the nappies to get rid of any remaining poo or else you find that all of your nappies come out looking slightly yellow. Assuming the sun ever shines again, hanging them out to dry does really help with the stains as well
    xx
  • I used liners because even if it only catch a bit it still makes the nappies easier to handle having less of the yellow runny stuff on them! :lol:
    My sister didn't bother with liners but each to their own!
    I soaked all my nappies in the beginning & found the yellow stuff would float on the top of the water! image
    I am lucky that I have a downstairs loo/shower room next to utility where I have my changing unit & store my nappy buckets so if I have a nappy where the liner hasn't caught everything then I put the nappy in a bucket & blast it with the shower then chuck the water down the loo & then the washing machine is right there for when I want to wash my nappies.
    I make sure all stained nappies go out in the sun & they come back in free of stains - wonderful sun! All my terry nappies are still white cuz of this, my sister (who lives in the south of France & has access to lots of sun) tumble dries her nappies so they are soft & all hers have gone beige/brown - eurgh! :lol:
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• wow, i didn't know that the sun helps stains! i guess that the sun naturally bleaches things!
  • I use fleece liners with a disposable liner wrapped around it and this generally catches all the poo/poo stains. The odd stain gets through to the nappy but to be honest I think the only reason my nappies have a couple of stains is that sometimes I can be a bit rubbish at remembering to wash them!

I dry pail and put some napisan in the wash with the detergant and occasionally if they come out of the wash still stained i'll soak them in napisan and rewash. As for sunshine to get rid of the stains.... well if we had enough sunshine then I'll try it! lol!
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Just been out today and bought some Napisan and now that I'm a bit more practised at changing nappies I'm feeling a bit more confident about trying the reusables.

Roll on some sunshine!

Corinna x