Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Christening to go to a better school?

13»

Replies

• Options
    interesting one - its not that i dont believe - i just dpont actively practice ie go to church though was bought up that way. Toby is in the catchment area of a Catholic school which we are going to apply for but if he doesnt get in then there will be other primary schools as long as they are near by as the social side of bringing friends home and being settled is more important. If it is a school that doesnt have a great reputation then i would just do extra tuition at home or get a tutor in the holidays maybe just to help him. Not sure i like grammer schools - the pupils seem to think they are far better than anyone else (this is obviously generalising but seems to be the case down here).

I dont think i would go as far as christening/converting - it just doesnt seem quite right to me and as meanad says would we convert to the Muslim faith - unlikely i think.
  • Options
    I have always said that I wouldn't have my daughter christened purely because it might give her a better chance of getting into a religious school. My partner and I aren't religious and I didn't think I would want to put on the pretense of getting her christened for that reason. However, at the end of the day, religious or not, the CoE schools where I live don't teach a religious curriculum, they accept a percentage of all other religions but some of them are deemed any better schools in an Ofsted report than any other non religious school. This is seriously making me reconsider my original decision because at the end of the day I want my daughter to go the best school possible so I'm considering having her christened. Yes that might make me a fake or a bad person but surely at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that's the best for our kids?