Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

For those of you who have good eaters...

Replies

• I began by feeding my lo purees that i made for first few weeks but then like you i found it bit time consuming and messy so I made decision to use pouches and try to use ones that were organic! (and they didnt taste too bad lol)

Now my lo is 114months and he eats a mixture of home cooked foods and asda good for you meals (when am busy) as i work in evening so hubby gives him thgis and it quite healty.

Think long as you offer variety lo will be fine,

my neice used to eat everything but at the age of 3 which she is now she can be a bit fussy she wont eat anything green, says it mouldy!! Think it is just a stage!!! xx
  • We use ella's, organix, plum and home made, it works out nicely, she's starting to eat more of what we have too now so that's even easier! You dont need to feel guilty at all!

My mom said once that as soon as you give birth you start feeling guilty for things and I've found it very true image

• Thanks so much for the great advice!!

Maened i have decided to do exactly what you suggested. Im going to let him start having our food mashed/slightly blended and also freeze a few portions if i make enough. Im very ANAL and when i make these batches i like to do it all in one go so it last a while and make such a big variety so thats why it takes me HOURS. It never occurred to me to just mash a bit when we have some and pop it in the freezer because as you say i cook meals from scratch most days because of dd, at least 5/7 days.. the other day we probably eat out or have a takeaway so dd will have something like fish fingers, waffles, beans/veg etc.

So yep im going to start him on our food and have some pouches in for days we have a takeaway or i dont think the meal is suitable.. but hopefully i will have something in the freezer for those days if i blend as i go!

Thank you! xx
  • Mummyanon- Im glad your husband is supportive. I feel guilty over things all the time and i dont have PND so i cant imagine how much more magnified it is for you.

Hugs xx
  • My son is doing a combination of BLW and spoon feeding. I give him Ella's, Oragnix and the steamed meals. I always try what I give him first and never give him anything bland. He loves his food except lamb. I don't see the harm in giving the high quality puches and jars as they're full of flavour
  • my first,he had all home made food and he was a fab eater,all changed when he turned 2,hes still good but not like he was

when the twins were born,they had both,home made and jars as i was too busy,i couldnt do all home cooked stuff and they have been fab eaters but now there turning 2,the girl shes starting to get a bit funny,so expecting twin bro to do the same
  • I used a combination of both - Ella's Kitchen are good but there isn't a massive variety of choice, lo loves the pots (organix I think off the top of my head!) of cottage pie, chicken and cheesy leak and beef bolognese.

I try lo with allsorts, some on this forum would probably turn puce but I even gave her Heinz Spaghetti shapes lol - which she loved by the way! lol.

Do what you can manage and feel comfortable with - there isn't really a right or wrong on this one as long as lo gets a varied and healthy diet overall image x
  • I started doing homemade food, I did food in batches, then froze it. He would eat the food with gusto when I had just prepared it, but defrosted food? Not a chance, and I tried a range of different ones. Now he eats just jars and finger foods, and likes everything, except for strong beef flavours, and is doing great! Yes, he can be a bit funny with lumps, but at 7 months we're getting there gradually. We use Organix, HIPP, Cow and Gate, or Heinz, and he is a brilliant eater, 3 meals a day since five months. There is nothing wrong with jars, there is nothing in it except the organic food, exactly the same produce I would have used to make him homemade stuff (in fact, so shoot me, I probably wouldn't have always used organic anyway!)

I'm sure these topics don't mean to become patronising by those that think giving jars is evil and in line with giving formula (oh, my boy also has formula too, call SS now why don't you! lol) but many of you who do feel strongly, one way or another, are terrible at wording your opinion in a way that is not patronising or frankly, just plain rude, and it seems to happen a lot in these places over anything!
  • JARS!!! POUCHES!!!! OMG you EVIL EVIL mummy!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I gave Emily the odd Jar - never used pouches - but she didnt really take to them. DS1 only ever had jars (i didnt really know how to cook then imageops: imageops: ) they're not poison hun and if it makes life easier for you by giving her one every now and then, go for it. A less stressed mummy is a happier mummy and that = a happier baby.

xxxxxxxx
  • Hi Mrs NN..

Firtly YOU know what a fab mum you are! Don't feel guilt nor question yourself.

Secondly, I gave the occasional pouch but mostly homemade. Now out of my 5 I have 2 very very very very fussy eaters and 3 that are fine...go figure!!!!????? ALL had the same start so obviously it is often just the way they are!

I, like Maenad, give the kids pretty much what we are having! Spag bol blitzed, cottage pie and veg, lasagne..etc.. I always save some and freeze it so on the days that we are having say a take away or something that cannot be blitzed, I always have a stock. Its much easier than doing it in one go!

Go with your instincts and don't let others make you feel bad..

Love d x
  • Tinned spaghetti isn't appropriate food for babies, it's far too salty. Just in case anyone else was wondering about trying their babies on it.
  • i am a terrible cook - i burnt my kitchen to pieces when pureeing pear (toby had a fab time in the fire engine) which is when i decided to go BLW - it has worked amazingly for us and i am so pleased i chose this route. He is a fabulous confident eatter and now uses forks and spoons - he is 13 mnths old. We do a slow cook pot once a week and vary the meat every week. We buy meat from the butchers (it isnt more expensive as there is less water in it so it lasts longer) and it lasts for 3 days.

I do buy the odd kiddies ready meal as i really dont see the problem with it - it is our culture today that families eat out more - and as long as it is the inority of the week it is fine. If i use ready meal then i always make sure it is something i wouldnt cook ie fish pie (yuk) or risotto (cant cook rice).

Anyway i would say cook and freeze but dont beat yourself up if lo has a a few ready meals. x x
  • Thanks very much girls image

Summer i figure we are sort of doing BLW and spoon its half and half really he has A LOT of finger foods... even when he has a puree for tea i still give him bits off our plates to munch on so i can eat my dinner while its still warm :lol:

Right- Now i have to decide whats appropriate for a 6 month old.. i know things like spag bog, cottage pie, etc are but what about a chilli con carne, keema curry? (we like hot food in this house!)

Junie mummy- I love your avatar!!

Maenad- My dd loves her spaghetti hoops i get the Heinz one which claims to have one of her 5 a day in it and is low in salt (lower than others anyway)... but she didn't start with that till she was well past a year old.. probably a lot older than that actually.

xx
  • DD started out on Cow & gate porridge & homemade fruit & veg, however much I tried homemade stuff just was not going down well at all. I decided to give her Ella's kitchen pouches for the first wee while & then when I had worked out what things she liked & didn't like I would go back to homemade. So when she had been weaning for around 6/7 weeks I had a good idea of what was working& went back to making my own. DD now eats everything, she just eats it a bit slower if she isn't that fussed on it. I would still keep the odd pouch in the cupboard if I needed it, (esp in this weather when we were snowed in for a few days & her frozen food was fast running out). I also, give her little stars yogurts & weetabix mixed with ella's kitchen fruit pouches.

I would never feel guilty about her pouches as I would rather my daughter was actually eating properly rather than not eating at all & being really fussy.
  • Oh, my DD adores 'pasgetti', but it's not something I was willing to give her until she was about 18mo.
  • No Mum should feel guilty about decisions that they make at all. I really was just saying why I have decided to try and make my own. Ands its literally because the jars and pouches turn my stomach. I'm on maternity leave with only the one child and have nothing much to do and I enjoy making his food and seeing all the pots lined up. No one here has said jars and pouches are evil or that anyone is lazy or a bad mum. I have PND linked in a large part to my inability to breastfeed and I feel this is something I can do for my lo to try and make up for it a bit. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just because someone chooses to do something in a different way to you does not mean that they judge your way.
  • I think for once the general consenceous seems the be the same, that these days jars or pouches are no big deal and that everyone will do what's right for them. I too have been doing big batch cooking and hate it! Thankfully now though I'm finding it easier to keep some basics stocked up and add from what we eat to make a meal. I always use pouches out (plum or ellas) as I find it so much easier than carting everything out. Godforbid, I've even started giving him pouches cold! I do feel bad about that, because I wouldn't like cold veg mush, but figure it's usually gone cold before he's halfway through anyway. Since we've move to stage 2 pouches I have been giving them at home every couple of days to try a new flavour, don't want to be suck put with nothing he'll eat, I feel bad when I do, but don't know why

Ps I think there's quite a few mummies that try to use food choices as a measure to help how they feel about bfing not being successful x
  • "Tinned spaghetti isn't appropriate food for babies, it's far too salty. Just in case anyone else was wondering about trying their babies on it."

One small quantity will not do any harm (of that I am satisfied)and therefore happy in my decision to try her with it even though your opinion is that it is inappropriate - but i don't disagree entirely with your comment - to serve up bowls full of the stuff regularly would be potentially dangerous.

Lets leave it at that shall we image
  • hun, don't worry if the responses are or aren't what you want to hear - everyones giving you an opinion which worked for them, dont take it the wrong way, we are all trying to help image

i would go ahead with it honestly, he's not going to know that gracie-faye's food had more effort put into it, gracie-faye also was an only child, it's only natural that you dont have as much time to put into constantly making batches of home-made food. if you have the money to buy pouches DO IT..... you know that maddie isnt the best eater but i wouldnt track that to her having puches/cans/home-made (she had a combination)... it's because I am too soft on her and dont give her enough things to try EVERY day like I should... lol!!

If you are giving him a variety of foods, tastes, textures etc as he gets old enough to have lumpy foods etc, he will develop a taste for the good stuff... i dont think it's home-made versus pouches - it's whether you give him vegetable and meat mixed stuff versus only fruit ones (like i did for too long, idiot, maddie only likes sweet stuff now lol)...... ahhh this is probably a nonsense rambling but my point is you sound like you want to do it and i personally think the organic pouches (we have rafferty's garden over here, i saw the Ella's ones while in the UK, exactly the same thing)are absolutely fine to give him. dont stress too much and dont you dare feel guilty!!!!

xxxxxx

tilly
  • PS. i wish we could 'like' comments on here like on fb. Juniemummy i like yours image happy mummy = happy baby!