Forum home Babies Baby

For those of you who have good eaters...

124»

Replies

• I'm certainly not an expert, arlik, it's just something I looked into after becoming aware of the case I mentioned earlier. Mum and I were both shocked at how easy it is to exceed a baby's salt allowance.

Apple pie made it perfectly clear that despite knowing the food was inappropriate, she intended to feed it again. I'm not particularly rational in the face of such callous disregard for a baby's safety. Shoot me if you will for that.

I've been called far worse than a jackass on this forum and remain blithely unconconcerned!
  • ok, I was just trying to offer you some friendly helpful advice. I actually like the advice/help you offer most of the time and its a shame it gets lost by the confrontational aspect that your posts seem to have. You don't have to say everything you think about people, you could keep it to yourself. And then maybe you wouldn't get called names too.

Its a shame thats all. Because a lot more people would listen and respond better to you if you were a bit nicer about it.

Take care xx
  • If I was 'nicer', I wouldn't be me. C'est la vie!

Also sorry to MrsNoName for hijacking your perfectly reasonable thread! I hope you were happy withthe advice you got before itall got banjaxed.
  • Ok, I wasn't going to post but I am getting so angry with some of the judgmental comments on here. If only you lot knew how easy you have it! So what if you feed your babys jars, cook it yourself or whatever! As long as your baby is healthy and happy. My gorgeous little boy has a very rare metabolic condition where a diet too high in protein WILL give him brain damage. He cannot have meat, fish, dairy, cereal, pasta, in fact most foods are off his menu! We were therefore given a list of baby jars which are suitable for him by fully qualified dieticians at Great Ormond Street. He is allowed a grand total of 5 grams of protein a day so every morsel of food we give him must be weighed and double checked before we give it to him. He has heel prick tests twice a week to monitor his blood levels. I would love to give him the same dinners we have but I can't! All of his food comes from the chemist and although its better than nothing the selection isn't amazing. So yes I gave my son 75g of heinz spaghetti last night. And he loved it! The poor boys diet is so restricted I will give him whatever I can find that he likes. It makes me so angry. How can it be wrong or lazy to give him pre prepared jars or something like spaghetti occasionally when it means I can closely monitor the protein content. Does this mean the alternative - not knowing the exact content but giving him what some would call "the right things to feed a baby" and risking causing my son to have brain damage - makes me a better mum. Because if that's the case I'd rather be a bad parent giving my boy what you consider an awful diet.

Im sure the dieticians at GOSH will be the first to tell me if what I am feeding him isnt suitable but to this point they have been very happy with what I'm giving him. I am certainly not a jackass thank you very much!
  • Yes I'm aware of the sodium multiplier, even with the multiplication of sodium content, they are still far below the 1g per day (remember I said "taste" of and not "can of" too).

I'd like to thank the ladies that have posted supportively - even where they have not necessarily agreed with me at least they can present their opinion in a non-pompous and non-abusive way, perhaps maenad you will learn a few tips that you can then use to nurture your children into lovely nice well-adjusted adults of the future image
  • wow I wasn't aware of the multiplier! I am a bit of a salt but too, in that I don't add it to potatoes, veg, pasta etc when I am cooking, as my siblings were little when I learnt to cook so we just didn't. I check things for salt but lo generally gets cooked from scratch food or jars/pouches.

When I was pregnant I was planning on not using jars very often, but my wee monkey loves organix oat porridge, so do I buy him a jar and let him have a nice full breakfast or do i keep giving him something else and not have him eat?? (rhetorical q) When he first started eating he much preferred pouches and jars but is now starting to eat mummy food phew!

Its not poison, its not for all the time, as long as we all know that.
  • i cant believe how childish some people are. yeah make people aware of guideline but dont insult them because of what they choose to do. As a previous poster said most people come on here because they care about their kids, they want to do the right thing. A few spoons of spagetti isnt going to do any baby any harm. I know how important salt levels are but really lets gets some perspective.
  • Apple pie if I came across the wrong way I simply picked up that you said '1g or salt or sodium' which you prob weren't thinking about when you typed but made me think you didn't know as 1g of salt is 2.5g of sodium kwim?

Likewise I also said I know there are low salt versions that weren't available when I had ds1 and I haven't looked for ds2 yet as he's happy on what he is munching on so no offense intended.

i remember coming across the sodium info when I had started weaning ds1 and no health professional had never brought it to my attention and tbh, like the thread is showing, many women don't actually know this, not through negligence of their children just that it is not an advertised fact, and unless, like myself you are anal retentive about things and look up absolutely everything not everyone would know about it. Perfect example my nephew was given beans and potatoes from his dads plate (potatoes with butter) at 15 weeks image I nearly droppe to the floor when they told me and was like omg salt salt salt and neither of them had a notion that this was something they had to watch. (he has been fed since about 11 weeks so the weaning itself was not a shock lol)

In summary :lol: I wasn't implying you didn't know was more just in case you didn't x

hope this makes sense
  • Lol moonbean, you didn't honey I promise you - all a bit of mindfield isn't it though! lol image xx
  • eeek :x .. i wondered how this had got to 5 pages lol! Oh dear.

Kayleighcakes you poor thing. I cant imagine how stressful meal times must be for you... big hugs for you and your baby. Will he always have to have meals checked like that or is it something he will grow out of like an intolerance? Sorry im totally clueless about his condition.

I have to admit i dont check salt, sugar, fat or calorie info as i should BUT i would make my self ill with worry if i did! I had a eating disorder from a young age so i try and have a carefree attitude to food now. I dont add any salt to cooking but thats as far as my checks go...... I wouldnt give ds spagetti hoops at this age but it wouldnt be because of the salt i just wouldnt because i feel he should be eating veg and meat at this age for the nutrition.

Anyway thanks again for the advice... sorry my post started all this image xx
  • Dont be sorry MrsNoName. It was a perfectly reasonable question. Just shows what a mine field weaning is and how there is never a right answer.

DD1 weaned on a mixture of home cooked and jars. I just wasnt able to keep up with the cooking when I went back to work so I gave both. She now eats a relatively broad diet but is about to turn 3 and has discovered her own mind LOL. Its really odd that food she used to love she now wont eat. I firmly believe that its her age not what she was weaned on. She also eats slimming world meals (I do adjust hers slightly and add full fat cheese etc. Its just healthy eating at the end of the day before anyone jumps on me!).

DD2 started with weaning really well with plain fruit and veg but now the food is getting more interesting (she is 7.5 months) she isnt that keen. Its not helped by the fact that she has had colds continuosly for a whole month. So I have started giving her jars which she manages better but still not great. She just isnt that interested in food. She was a nightmare as a young baby because she isnt keen on milk and now the only thing she really likes eating is yogurt.

Now my neighbours little girl was weaned solely on jars. She eats ANYTHING and really loves her food.

I think good eaters occur from making meal times an important part of the day (ie sat at the table as a family), a varied diet (be it jars or homecooked) and on the child, some are just better than others and you cant change that.

Good luck and just go with the flow

Serena X
  • Unfortunatly he has this for life image he has an enzyme missing that breaks the protein down properly. It's getting easier but is very scary and stressful. The condition is called PKU and only affects 1

In 10,000. I just can't believe how an innocent Question turned into a massive "I'm right your wrong" match. Xxx
  • Thanks Serena! We do as you say make meal times an event! Always around the table, nicely set out, a nice chat around the meal etc i have always wanted it this way and i think when dd see's us trying something new she is more inclined to try it too, so yes i guess your right its about making eating a positive thing that makes them good eaters!

Kayleigh im very sorry to hear that image You sure are amazing to have to do all that extra stuff for him when having a baby in itself is stressful enough. Hugs xx
  • kaleighcakes, so sorry to hear about your little boy. That must be very though. When I was pregnant with my first in 1991 a lady at my antenatal class had this condition. The midwife was telling us about the test they have at birth and one lady said it sounded a silly thing to do when the odds are so low. When the mum to be heard this she got upset and told us all how difficult it was to have the condition and how important it is to know if you have it. She was about 23 at the time and looked well. She said you get used to eating your special portions etc.. still not an easy thing and my heart goes out to you and your little one. Ofcourse no one would judge you for giving him a little taste of 'normal' food.

Right, I am not getting dragged into who is right, who is wrong but I just feel the need to say that Maenead is as Maenead is! If she edited her posts to the midline then it would not be her. She says it as it is and you either read it and ignore or you read it and learn something new! You are never going to change her. Just read between the lines and take away the good bit of info that is usually in there. Think how boring sites like this would be if we all delivered our answers in a monotone straight to the point way?? yawn..............

Mrs NN, hope you got some good advice and are confident in the way you are feeding both your little ones. They certainly look healthy enough...

d x
  • mum_too_many - Well said (about Maenad) and totally agree!

I suppose I could reply to the post too! lol!

I haven't ever fed the boys anything I havent made myself, mainly because of my own guilt about bf (thats a whole other story!)

Having said that, pouches/jars are not poison and I know many a very healthy, happy baby/toddler that has been fed on jars only/homemade only. It is a matter of CHOICE, not another guilt trip!

It doesnt take me long to make stuff though. I batch cook once a fortnight (on a Friday as its my day off) and freeze in portions.

I also give them spaghetti etc now as it is something they enjoy, as well as f/fingers, every so often. They are almost 15 months now though. Everything in moderation xxx
  • UPDATED on page one
  • Great news, well done MrsNN. Sounds like he's doing fabulously!

xxx