Forum home Babies Baby

ARGH! Inlaws help!

Ladies.....my inlaws are drinving me mad.

Recent comments have been

"you look like Kerry katona". I was holding onto my baby while having a sip of a drink. God forbid, it's Christmas.

My baby spent the morning at my parents, and we had tea at the inlaws Baby was smiling and gurgling, and mil said "oh, are you happy to be back here? Have they been hurting you at you other granny and granddads"? WTF?! What a strange thing to say.

My OH and I have been together 5 years, and every Christmas we spend Xmas eve at my parents, Xmas morning we open presents, oh drives to his parents to have Xmas with his family and then I drive up at night. This year, for the first time, we are spending Xmas day together with our 14 week old. So we are wake g up in our own house, going to his parents for breakfast (they have a big Xmas breakfast every year) and then driving to my parents for Xmas dinner early afternoon.

OH sister just reeled off so many digs:

" what time are you coming round Xmas morning. We usually have to wait to have breakfast as OH not there. And we have to wait to open presents too as he isn't back until late (usually OH is back with parents by 10am latest Xmas day, leaving my parents at 9am - it's hardly late!) then she asked if we were coming back up Xmas night. No, because OH is going to the football boxing day so I may as well stay at home.

They keep turning up unannounced tt!

Honestly, I am struggling to bite my tongue. I've tried to speak to OH but he won't hear a bad word said about his family. It's making me not want to spend time round there.

Replies

• well if they're going to call you kerry katona make like her give them a mouthful of what you really think about them...might not do wonders for your relationship with them but it'd make you feel better i bet! :lol:

no, seriously i think you're a star for not having lost it at them. if somebody dared ever suggest my mum didn't love DD as much as i do i'd have put them through a window. 'are they hurting you?' it's such a weird thing to say ...are they normally weird like that? image

i'd be having serious words with my OH if his parents were like that tbh, it's not the kind of atmosphere i'd want my LO in and if they're saying stuff like that now god knows what they'll be like in a few years if they're not the *favourite* grandparents!

good luck whatever you do hun ( i still vote for going off on one at them though! image )
  • well if they're going to call you kerry katona make like her give them a mouthful of what you really think about them...might not do wonders for your relationship with them but it'd make you feel better i bet! :lol:

no, seriously i think you're a star for not having lost it at them. if somebody dared ever suggest my mum didn't love DD as much as i do i'd have put them through a window. 'are they hurting you?' it's such a weird thing to say ...are they normally weird like that? image

i'd be having serious words with my OH if his parents were like that tbh, it's not the kind of atmosphere i'd want my LO in and if they're saying stuff like that now god knows what they'll be like in a few years if they're not the *favourite* grandparents!

good luck whatever you do hun ( i still vote for going off on one at them though! image )
  • I agree that the 'are they hurting you' comment is seriously odd. We all make joky comments etc when baby cries with one person, doesn't with another etc but not like that! I would try to just let the Xmas stuff go over your head tbh, but the turning up unannounced is not on and I would either tell them so, or if you don't want to and DH won't I really just wouldn't answer the door to them tbh or would say I was just on my way out so could they come back later.
  • your very restraint i would have gone mental with that comment about your parents! you should have said yes they have to toughen her up for when shes here!

we have always taken it in turns to travel to each parents but this year we are at home and the MIL is pretty pissed we are not going to her for boxing day, we will have loads of food left over and dont want to take everything but the kitchen sink with us for DS just to suit her, i would much rather be at home enjoying our first xmas than driving round pleasing her, so i have said we are staying at home, and they can come if they want i do hope they come as my mum has spoilt LO and her 1 measly present isnt gonna take long to unwrap

i would be tempted to start being a smart ass and politely but cleverly have an answer for everything, just enough to make them notice , also if your on your own dont answer the door and if they ask you were alseep and would they kindly call first to make sure your free, my MIL has started turning up unannounced unfortunatley its always been when hubbys been at home and he answers the bloody door!
  • Thanks ladies. I know that perhaps I am being a little sensitive, but i now feel that there are just little digs all the time, which are now building up.

The comment about my parents hurting her - i was just so shocked I didn't say anything. But I think you are right, I'm going to have to just go armed with quick responces, and nip it in the bud, as they clearly think it's ok to speak to me like this. I know that it was just MIL idea of a joke, but it's really not funny, and I was actually offended by it.

OH seems to think his family are perfect though, but If i don't stop these comments now, I'm going to explode!

I know over Christmas time we will be expected to go around to their house a lot, but there will be at least 6 people there at all times. Our little girl is a sensitive wee thing, and can find it all just too much sometimes. Today for example, OH sister and her boyf turned up unannounced, and Eva was just so unsettled. I had litterally just closed the door to my friend and her baby, and Eva was ready for some quiet time, when they appeared. I am definatly going to have to say something - just not sure how I approach the subject. The way our path is at the house, I wouldn't be able to pretend I was out, but I could say I was on my way out.

Why can't they just think about us first?! xxx

I'm just ranting now - but it feels OH SO GOOD! xxx
  • you might have to grab your coat everytime the doorbell goes incase its them, oh sorry were just going out, if only you had called first :lol:
  • I know! MIL would ask where we were off to though and probably ask to walk with us.

Half the problem is that we live about 2 streets away. We hope to move next year, so I will be making sure that we move a little further away, give us all some space!