Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep training?

Hi all

L is coming up to three months and I know I really need to sort out her hourly waking that she does from about 4am onwards. It started as a hunger thing but now she does it because she wants to come into our bed with us, so its my own fault really. I'm not keen on carrying on with that because although it is so snuggly and lovely to have this little warm bundle next to you, I am developing the worst EVER crick in my neck. I really need to sort it out because that on top of two feeds in the night is killing me - I've started grinding my teeth during what little sleep I get, and last night I very nearly kicked my snoring husband through sheer rage that he was sleeping while I wasn't.

What happens is that after her second feed (breast) which is between 3am and 4am she is unsettled in her crib but will nod off, then starts waking pretty much every hour from then on in, making lots of very loud noises. These last for as much as 30 or 40 mins then she kinda nods off, but then wakes up about 10 minutes later and starts the whole thing again! Unless ofcourse I crack and take her into our bed - then she is out for the count. But I'm not - cricked neck plus fear of smothering baby equals sleepless night for me!

At the moment I am a bit like a headless chicken - I just don't know what to do to help her go back to sleep (and STAY asleep!), which I think is making it worse - I'm not being consistent in my approach cos I don't know what the hell I'm doing!

What are my options?

Thanks in advance for the help ladies - my teeth and cricked neck really appreciate it.xx

Replies

• We did a bit of sleep training at 4 months to help as DD was waking up to 4 times a night and it would take me an hour to get her back off each time. We did a combination of PU/PD and CC (left for 30 secs, picked up, calmed down, next time left for 1 min, then 1 min 30 secs etc).

If you don't know where to start, I'd really recommend babysleepanswers.co.uk. You can buy the book but you also get access to an online forum where you can ask specific questions. Whilst the approach we used was a little different from the book they really helped establish a better daytime routine (she didn't sleep at all in the day) and eventually drop the night feed and dream feed.
  • Thanks Lizzie I'll check out that site you mentioned. xx