Forum home Babies Baby

BBC news - weaning bf babies before 6 months.

2»

Replies

• As with most things, I'll take a look at the guidlines and then make my own decision based on my own baby. I'm a follower of blw so I think a baby is ready to be weaned when they are trying to take food from you and able to feed themselves. Both my lo's were weaned close the 6 months mark and neither have allergies.

Also the comment about how we may miss the window for when babies will be willing to try new tastes and flavours confused me, surely if they are bf then they are getting different tastes as mothers milk changes taste defending on what she has eaten whereas a ff baby has the exact same flavour all the time?
  • Minnie the gluten thing really surprised me, i thought they had always advised against gluten before 6 months even when they advised weaning at 4 months.xx
  • actually..whilst I laughed at Maenad's discovery that Nutricia sponsored it, bet they didn't say that on the telly - but the official British Dietetic Association website published last year has their policy statement on weaning and it clearly says exactly this, that exclusive bf for six months is not always best for every baby and that there is some evidence that waiting til six months causes, rather than reduces, the higher rate of allergies we have in Western society. However, it also says in the back page that they don't recommend a change in official policy as it would 'reduce the credibility of health care professionals' etc with parents. Having read that paper when we were advised to wean DD early at 5 months due to reflux I then happily refused to go to any of the 'weaning parties' at my local Gp surgery or to have the Health Visitors (useless) come round and spout the official guidance at me when I knew having asked them that they were not even aware of that paper. I know it's not their fault, but they just trot out such b***cks at times and esp. when you're a 1st time mum you feel like you need to listen to them - if there's a next time, I certainly won't feel like that!

Rant over (sorry girls, don't know where that came from, lol!)

edited just to say = that sounded bad, I am not having a go at Health Visitors (though I may be having a go at mine, lol!) I just get so fed up at all the bad advice I've been given. Nothing is black and white about being a mummy or a baby!
  • Angel100: I think I'll stay clear of gluten until 6 months if I do start early. The BBC article does say that no new research was done, it is people's opinion and observations. I read that the higher number of coliac disease could be due to more detection rather than more cases, iyswim.
  • I cant believe how much/often they change things.....some people think 4 mths is too young to wean only becuase of the newer guide line of 6mths being suggested, which now sees to be a mistake??

I started weaning all my children @ 4 months, this was what was suggested with my first 2 children any way.

This is a pefectly safe age as baby's can manage and are ready generally for food round about this time... so now waiting till 6 mths can deprive baby's of vitamins~ thats terrible to find out becuase of doing whats suggested we could have deprived our babies for doing whats suggested as the BEST for your baby!!!!!

Its disgusting.
  • This is just so confusing for mums! It is difficult enough as it is trying to navigate our way around all this without the goal posts constantly being moved.

Like many others I listened to my son, he was ready for food at 23 weeks so not quite 6 months but he has had absolutely no issues with food at all since then. He trys everything and is on the whole a very good eater. I bf til he was on 3 meals a day and then we moved on to formula. I am hoping to bf for longer this time.

I don't want to sound harsh but babies are not designed to sleep through the night, you are very lucky if they do. A baby waking in the night is not on it's own a good enough reason to introduce solids, there should be other signals.
  • minnie i will be inclined to do the same if we do end up early, lo seems fine at the mo but we will play it by ear.xx
  • I think the point is it cant possibly be blackand white every baby is different and expecting them all to compky with governmenty guidlines and books is nonsense. They are just guidelines afterall. The only person I wil be listening to is my daughter x sorry about the typos breastfeeding, or should I be weaning she is 8 weeks and doesn't go through the nightn image:lol:
  • im prob going to start somewhere in between like 20 weeks most probably. But will let my little guy lead me.

Its mad to think that i was weaned at 12 weeks my lo is 12 weeks nxt week and no way is he ready im sure he would just spit it out.

But they do say that if a baby int ready they will just spit it out. Babies are clever little things.

Im fine i have no allergies asthma etc so makes you wonder